Chick squatting

Zealo

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
I've got a five week old chicks, two white brahma, two production reds, and a white barred rock. One of my white brahma's has started to squat. I find the behavior for a five week old to be a little odd.. But then again.. She's the most mellow out of the five and is probably in the lowest pecking order...

But still... Five weeks???

I've got a five week old chicks, two white brahma, two production reds, and a white barred rock. One of my white brahma's has started to squat. I find the behavior for a five week old to be a little odd.. But then again.. She's the most mellow out of the five and is probably in the lowest pecking order...

But still... Five weeks???

Is this chick, by chance, at the bottom of the pecking order within the group? While it is mostly associated with sexual maturity and submission, the submission part can often play into it being displayed for non sexual reasons.
Perhaps you could video the behavior and post it so that we can see what she is doing and what is prompting her to do so? Is it in response to you or to the other birds or both?

Last edited:
I believe that she maybe in the bottom of the pecking order within the group, though high aggression has never been seen except with my other white brahma who likes to jump all over the place.

From what I've seen, she only squats for me. When I go to pet them, I advance my hands from the front and place one hand to steady them, while petting them with the other. I have three older girls, and can say from experience that hers is just the same as theirs. The squat with wings out, but up, and feather fluff after.

My other chicks do not squat, they usually just relax and let me pet them, except my other white hyper brahma who runs around for ***** and giggles.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom