Chick with sour crop

ManILoveBirds

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2022
(I have posted this in another thread but I am really worried)
I was holding my chick to clean out it's brooder when I realized the chick's crop is extremely soft, I accidentally pressed a little too hard on it and he vomitted out a white-ish clear liquid. I searched online and the websites say my chick most likely has a sour crop. My mom doesn't allow me to buy grits from pet stores and I tried to crush up some gravel and gave it to the chick but he doesn't want to eat it. What should I do?

(I have posted this in another thread but I am really worried)
I was holding my chick to clean out it's brooder when I realized the chick's crop is extremely soft, I accidentally pressed a little too hard on it and he vomitted out a white-ish clear liquid. I searched online and the websites say my chick most likely has a sour crop. My mom doesn't allow me to buy grits from pet stores and I tried to crush up some gravel and gave it to the chick but he doesn't want to eat it. What should I do?
First of all, you need to determine if the chick actually has a problem or if you accidentally just pressed the contents of the crop up and out. Chickens don't have a gag reflex, so it's very possible for the contents to be expelled by you.

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink. The crop should be empty/flat after a full night's sleep.
IF the crop is not empty, then you will want to begin treatment. I would start with the coconut oil and go from there. Details of how to treat a crop are in the article below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-with-sour-crop.1519607/#post-25583538

In your other thread you mention that you give pellets, rice, peas, corn, etc. Are the pellets layer pellets or chick starter? A 5 week old chick needs to be fed Chick Starter. The rice (cooked?), peas, corn, etc. could be given as treats in small quanities (about 1tsp per day).
You chick needs grit in order to process the rice/corn/seed, etc. You can purchase grit (crushed granite) at feed stores or online. In a pinch, you may find suitable grit in a pet shop, look for one for pet birds, but get one that doesn't have calcium added.
I see that you may need to speak with a parent about the purchase of grit, hope the conversation goes well. While you might find suitable grit in your local dirt, it's more convenient and easier to purchase grit, this way you know you have the right thing. Speak with your parent and explain that chickens have a gizzard which requires grit in order to process grains and foods, otherwise, they can end up with digestive problems, a blockage and/or sour crop.

If you feel she's having problems with the crop, then cut out all those treats and feed the chick starter only. You can offer it dry or made into a mash. A little bit of scrambled egg can be given as a treat for the time being, she doesn't need grit to process cooked egg.

Your other thread can be found here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-with-a-sour-crop.1519602/

I live in B.C, Canada with only one chick which I feed a mixture of a pack of wild bird food, some chicken pallets, rice, peas, and corn.

First of all, you need to determine if the chick actually has a problem or if you accidentally just pressed the contents of the crop up and out. Chickens don't have a gag reflex, so it's very possible for the contents to be expelled by you.

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink. The crop should be empty/flat after a full night's sleep.
IF the crop is not empty, then you will want to begin treatment. I would start with the coconut oil and go from there. Details of how to treat a crop are in the article below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-with-sour-crop.1519607/#post-25583538

In your other thread you mention that you give pellets, rice, peas, corn, etc. Are the pellets layer pellets or chick starter? A 5 week old chick needs to be fed Chick Starter. The rice (cooked?), peas, corn, etc. could be given as treats in small quanities (about 1tsp per day).
You chick needs grit in order to process the rice/corn/seed, etc. You can purchase grit (crushed granite) at feed stores or online. In a pinch, you may find suitable grit in a pet shop, look for one for pet birds, but get one that doesn't have calcium added.
I see that you may need to speak with a parent about the purchase of grit, hope the conversation goes well. While you might find suitable grit in your local dirt, it's more convenient and easier to purchase grit, this way you know you have the right thing. Speak with your parent and explain that chickens have a gizzard which requires grit in order to process grains and foods, otherwise, they can end up with digestive problems, a blockage and/or sour crop.

If you feel she's having problems with the crop, then cut out all those treats and feed the chick starter only. You can offer it dry or made into a mash. A little bit of scrambled egg can be given as a treat for the time being, she doesn't need grit to process cooked egg.

Your other thread can be found here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-with-a-sour-crop.1519602/
I am over 80% sure that he has sour crop but I'll check next morning and hopefully what you said was true. This is going to make me sound irresponsible again but I don't know what kind of pellets I use as my parents got them from a family friend who also raises chickens. I'll start decrease the amount of peas and corn in their diets. Thanks a lot!

I am over 80% sure that he has sour crop but I'll check next morning and hopefully what you said was true. This is going to make me sound irresponsible again but I don't know what kind of pellets I use as my parents got them from a family friend who also raises chickens. I'll start decrease the amount of peas and corn in their diets. Thanks a lot!
:hugs It's ok!
Just do the best you can. Let us know if her crop is empty in the morning.

If you have any photos of your chick, those are always welcome too.

Back
Top Bottom