Chicken Bites!

Jeanna Marie

Songster
9 Years
Mar 26, 2013
Hayden, Alabama

So I went to feed Dumplin this morning and he bit me! Dumplin is a commercial rescue. He flew off the back of a commercial truck on the highway and my dad brought him home. He wasjust a chick...about 4-6 weeks old and pretty beat up. He still walks with a slight limp and doesnt roost.

Any ideas on how to stop the biting and what breed do you think he is...leghorn?

He is all alone. We didn't have other chickens when we got him and my chicks are too young. He had a really bad wing injury when we got him. He just never tried to fly.

Iwould totally set him up wit a roost bar 4 inches or so off the ground. How much playtime does he get? maybe he needs entertainment?

We try to let him out to free range but he doesnt seem interested in it. He sticks close to his sleeping spot but he does crow every morning and again around lunch time.... I don't really know how to play with a chicken that bites... I will try putting him in a low roost

Dumplin has a new roost..about four inches off the ground and another about eight inches off the ground. So far he hasn't tried to use them...hmmmm

I just replied to a previous thread with the same suggestion. Would hand feeding him some really yummy treats on a daily basis help? Do you think he could still be in pain from his "chickhood" injuries?

I have a hen that bit me once. I thought it was a fluke.
She then did it a 2nd and third time. Well, bite me once and shame on you.
Bite me 2 and 3 times, that's cause for a beak flick. Not sure it was the
appropriate method but she hasn't bitten me since. (Note: I did not do
it in anger, I was attempting to provide a quick "chicken like" response and
it was all I could think of at the time.) Seems to have done the trick in my
case. she still comes over and jumps into my lap on occasion for her treats.

I have also heard on other threads that they carry a rooster around to show
him who's boss. IMHO I think your guy needs some friends to be a chicken
with.

Back
Top Bottom