CHICKEN BREED DISCUSSION THREAD!!

Ok I went into lockdown today I can't wait I have been looking for silkies also so I can't wait to get there breeding pen built and get them in there I am thinking of getting them from east gate feed and grain here once they start selling chicks but I will take them from anyone else who has maybe like a good breeding pair or even chicks and I would like them to be white black or blue but I will also take the splash ones they have to be in pa near me though because shipping prices went up a lot and I don't like shipping live birds thanks please pm me if u have any forsale thanks

Ok I went into lockdown today I can't wait I have been looking for silkies also so I can't wait to get there breeding pen built and get them in there I am thinking of getting them from east gate feed and grain here once they start selling chicks but I will take them from anyone else who has maybe like a good breeding pair or even chicks and I would like them to be white black or blue but I will also take the splash ones they have to be in pa near me though because shipping prices went up a lot and I don't like shipping live birds thanks please pm me if u have any forsale thanks

Yep...if you can find what you want close to home it is much better than having birds shipped, as such can get costly in short order.

Yes we love pics I went into lockdown this morning and the incubator is in my room and the eggs are rolling around and moving so I am hoping for some pips here soon I will give some pics once they hatch

Yes I know that's why I am thinking tractor supply or east gate feed and grain

Check your local Craigslist too. I know a lot of Silkie breeders around my area advertise on Craigslist and if you buy from one of the breeders you can usually check out the parent stock first.

Here's my little Buff non-bearded Silkie, Didi:

And some of her offspring. These are the Bielefelder crosses:

And her daughter from crossing with a Barred Rock rooster:

That bottom one is really nice I like the bearded silkies though

I do too....but I bought her (and her now culled brothers) as a chick at one of the local feed stores, and wasn't even sure what I'd gotten. They weren't 100% sure whether she was a Silkie or a bantam Cochin at the time. She's a sweet little girl now, but had a lot of issues as a chick. Her head would start bobbing and I had to physically stop it so she could walk, feed, etc. I was told it's not an uncommon result of their vaulted crowns. I honestly didn't think she'd survive, but she turned out to be a lovely little thing and is now over a year old and still laying strong. And somehow she always attracts the biggest, heaviest cockerels and roosters. It pains me to find them mounting her, practically crushing her little body under their massive frames.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom