CHICKEN BREED DISCUSSION THREAD!!

Chicken Egg 17

Songster
Dec 11, 2015
McVeytown PA
Hello everyone I am making this read for everyone to share pics and what chicken breed of your flock is

Here are the rules
1. no one will be rude to one another
2. No cussing
3. And u need to have that bird in your flock
4. No one else's pic
5. Must list the breed
6. Have fun

Here is mine this is Roada she is a Rhode Island Red and Easter egger mix hope this thread comes along thanks to who ever joins

:fl. :yiipchick. :woot

Last edited:
Could u tell me how to look at the rules thanks
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/terms-of-service
Here is a pic of my Chantecler flock when they were only 4 months of age. I don't have any newer or better ones and won't 'til the weather clears up around here.

NICE Chanteclers. They're on my extremely short list of breeds to get once I have room to expand beyond my Faverolles.

To stay on topic here are some of them.

900x900px-LL-c3bbd7b1_20160123_1458141.jpeg

900x900px-LL-ef2bc014_13729_102811_08.jpeg

900x900px-LL-02597e8e_DSC00522.jpeg

900x900px-LL-435fe5c3_DCP_3519.jpeg

Hello everyone I am making this read for everyone to share pics and what chicken breed of your flock is

Here are the rules
1. no one will be rude to one another
2. No cussing
3. And u need to have that bird in your flock
4. No one else's pic
5. Must list the breed
6. Have fun

Here is mine this is Roada she is a Rhode Island Red and Easter egger mix

Hi Roada Red. Have you made yourself familiar with the BYC RULES? They cover most of what you have written. Starting off with a bunch of 'rules' is a quick way to the death of a thread But I wish you good luck with this one.

Here is a pic of my Chantecler flock when they were only 4 months of age. I don't have any newer or better ones and won't 'til the weather clears up around here.

And this is my 4 month old Dark Cornish Cockerel.

Last edited:
Are they auto sexing?
Faverolles are not auto sexing, they all look the same at hatch. I can usually sex them by 10 days-2 weeks old. On a rare occasion a light colored cockerel will have me thinking pullet, that is until those black leg feathers start sprouting.

Yes I wish Sally sunshine started a thread an 1 hour and 40 minutes ago and it already has over 10 pages and a new post every few seconds like incubating with friends she must be very popular around here
Don't worry about that kind of thing. Threads like that burn out or are closed because of something. It takes time for some threads to make it into the top ten all time.

The old folks thread is approaching number 10--It has steady posts all the time but has never been in the top 10 on a single day or week. I just keeps plugging along.

I suspect that this thread will take of in spurts and jumps and then rest for periods of time since it largely centers around our breeding projects. For my part, I hope to be contributing more as my current hatch finally reaches its conclusion. I didn't set up breeding pens, in large part because I've just got more things to do than I have time to do them, and I was trusting my observations of my chickens to give me at least a few of the results I'm hoping for. Today is day 7 of incubation of 24 eggs, and roughly half of them are from my Bielefelders and my White Rocks, both of which I'm hoping were mainly fertilized by my 11-lb NN rooster, Shiloh. The rest of the eggs in this hatch are more for satisfying my curiosity.

In the meantime I've still been systematically butchering my extra cockerels from my last hatch and have been learning a lot from the process. I've discovered that my Bielefelder mixes, just like my pure Biel cockerels, all have much, much more fat on them than my NNs ever have. Maybe this is why they have such a difficult time in the heat? Now I'm wondering what a NN/Biel cross will give me in regards to a meat to fat ratio. And yes....I do plan to find out via empirical experimentation.
wink.png

Yes we love pics I went into lockdown this morning and the incubator is in my room and the eggs are rolling around and moving so I am hoping for some pips here soon I will give some pics once they hatch

Back
Top Bottom