CHICKEN BREED DISCUSSION THREAD!!

Roo or hen 18 weeks old checks out the best box but I'm confused.

Well if it hasn't started crowing yet I would say rooster and it looks like one to it might just be checking out the nesting boxes to make a nest for the hens my rooster does that

Ok well I went to tractor supply today and the guy and my mom was telling me that the breed of theses chicks are called bantams I kept telling them there is no such breed but they wouldn't stop and because of that I was not allowed to get any which ruined my day they just had to argue with the chicken whisper so here is what they looked like are these silkies thanks

Yes I would say a rooster just might take a few more weeks I geuss but I am have a similar question but it is not about sex it's about breed I had posted a pic of two chicks that is what they looked like at tractor supply and they are trying to tell me the breed is bantams but I think they are silkies just as I have been looking for so any help would be appreciated

Yes I would say a rooster just might take a few more weeks I geuss but I am have a similar question but it is not about sex it's about breed I had posted a pic of two chicks that is what they looked like at tractor supply and they are trying to tell me the breed is bantams but I think they are silkies just as I have been looking for so any help would be appreciated
Hatchery quality silkies.

I can guarantee those are white silkies. They probably won't be great examples of the breed though.

The coloring is light and I am fairly sure I see hackle and saddle feathers.

It looks like a cockerel.

@ronott1 It seems you are always sexing based on the feathers, what are different about them from a hens?(other than the tail) Is it that the base/back neck feathers are longer? That the feathers right in front of the tail are longer? or both? And where exactly are the hackle feathers?
I usually sex based on the comb, but I figure that the more methods I use, the more accurate I will be for the most part.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom