CHICKEN BREED DISCUSSION THREAD!!

O are u certified I would like to know how they do it because on the website I was reading about they say ey have u help do something are they ruff with the birds

I have no need to be NPIP right now, maybe in a couple yrs I might get into selling.
One thing I heard is it's best to get whatever birds/breeds you want before being certified, it's easier?

Last edited:
Parked next to a sweet '53 Chevy today at WalMart. Looked completely original unrestored, even the interior was all there and nice. I love seeing them like that.

I have no need to be NPIP right now, maybe in a couple yrs I might get into selling.
One thing I heard is it's best to get whatever birds/breeds you want before being certified, it's easier?

I've been told the same thing.

I had once considered becoming NPIP certified, but given all the bird flew issues right now I decided it might be better to wait rather than show up on a government database somewhere. (Okay...so I'm a little paranoid.
hide.gif
)

Well I will always be doing chicken math in the process and I don't even have there pen build yet but I would like the get it done and over with now and or just get some info on it or see if I can get a certification number and see if they can wait to come out and check everything

O are u certified I would like to know how they do it because on the website I was reading about they say ey have u help do something are they ruff with the birds
Well, you do have to help by catching your birds one by one to be tested. Either crate them or coop them the night before the test so you aren't chasing them all over the place. I have a few spazzies that must be crated or I can't get them even if they are in the coop.

I am sure the birds are not too thrilled at the procedure. The tester nicks under a wing, fills a vial with some blood, then bands the bird. The number on the vial is the band number so if something is wrong they know which bird it is. Some birds bleed more than others (usually the white ones) so wear old clothes. Then the blood goes off to a lab for testing.

Each state tests for different things. How many of your birds need to be done also varies by state. Here in MA they check for avian influenza and pullorum-typhoid. Every bird (except waterfowl) must be done every year. I generally get my results in 3-4 days by email.

Well the avian flu isn't in pa yet so I don't know if they are going to test for that or not what do they do if ur birds test positive for a disease like a viral one that can spread very easily do they take them away for testing or what because if so then I am not going to npip certified because I don't want my birds to be tested on instead they can rest in peace

Last edited:

Yes, it is best to get the breed (s) you want before becoming certified. Once you get that NPIP number you are restricted to buying only from other NPIP flocks.

Back
Top Bottom