Chicken Breed Focus - Ameraucana

I like my Americana chickens for the most part, they are pretty aggressive though, not towards me, but towards new and other chickens. They actually killed a new chicken I had put with them. I will post a few pictures in another post :)

The only one with puffy cheeks

One of the calmer ones

I don't know if these two babies count because the mom is Americana and the dad is unknown.
I have 4 Americana, 2 Black Sex Link, and a Rooster plus a few new babies :)

I hatched Ameraucana eggs last year. I was blessed with 4 hens and 3 roosters. The roosters were black as are 2 of the hens, The other 2 hens are blue. I could only keep 1 rooster so I rehomed 2 of them. Later I discovered that gold color in any black bird is a flaw. Leakage its called. My rooster, Golden-wing, is as sweet as he is beautiful. Hes a good protector of his flock and not a reject in my eyes.

Good looking birds, but they are actually Easter Eggers rather than Ameraucanas.
[/quote]

That is so sneaky of our farmers co-op to sell them that way but obviously it's common practice. It's okay though we love them all the same. Our dog and cats are mutts and I guess our chickens are too. We're a mutt family. Although after seeing the beautiful pictures on here of true ameraucanas I definitely want to add some if we expand in the future! Thanks.

Good looking birds, but they are actually Easter Eggers rather than Ameraucanas.

That is so sneaky of our farmers co-op to sell them that way but obviously it's common practice. It's okay though we love them all the same. Our dog and cats are mutts and I guess our chickens are too. We're a mutt family. Although after seeing the beautiful pictures on here of true ameraucanas I definitely want to add some if we expand in the future! Thanks.[/quote]

Lol sorry not are you talking about my chickens or the next person's post?

We have a silver Ameraucana who is nearly four years old. She is shy and timid, with us and with her flock-mates. If we do need to catch her for some reason, after we've finally caught her, she is docile. We know never to try to take an egg from the nest while she is on it. The eggs have remained on the smaller side, and she never lays in the winter (she stops when molting in the fall and then doesn't start up again until late March here in southern Wisconsin). She particularly likes to watch me while I'm gardening and waits for me to toss her choice weeds or worms that I've accidentally chopped in two. She always stays at least five feet away from me. Our lone Ameraucana goes to roost about an hour before the other hens. She has never been broody. We used to have two of these birds, and both acted the same (they were raised by the same breeder; probably same parentage). The other one was killed by a raccoon. The eggs, while small and not that plentiful, are wonderfully pretty. She does not lay every day...I would say four times per week (from late March through late September). And here is Tonks:
Tonks is a pretty girl, who knows who is digging up the worms, sounds like she is still laying well for her age if she is still doing four eggs a week, that is nice to know.

Back
Top Bottom