Chicken Breed Focus - Ameraucana

I am really enjoying our 5 ameracauna hens. We lost our roo in January :-( we miss him very much. We are new last year to having chickens but we are really happy with this breed. They're sweet, neat looking and full of personality. We have a cross beak girl that lives inside the house with us. She's amazing. As you can see she gets along with the cats and dog and enjoys lounging on the couch.

Pretty Easter Eggers, the hen looks like she enjoys being a house chicken!

I bought wheatens this year to try something different. I ended up with two pullets but sold one. She was ill tempered. This is Joany and I think lovely.
Joany is adorable! Hope she turns out to be a good layer of lovely blue eggs for you!

Thanks for doing the Breed Focus! Love that I can learn about different breeds and get others input in one spot! My Blue Splash Ameraucana. I don't care if her color isn't perfect, she gives me almost perfectly round blue eggs!
Nice looking hen, and she is perfect where it counts if she lays you beautiful blue eggs!

Last edited:

The only one with puffy cheeks

One of the calmer ones

I don't know if these two babies count because the mom is Americana and the dad is unknown.
I have 4 Americana, 2 Black Sex Link, and a Rooster plus a few new babies :)

Very nice Easter Eggers, you should be getting a nice variety of egg colors.
Chickens in general tend to be mean to new birds added to a flock as they get the pecking order straightened out, there is a nice article in the Learning Center that might give you some ideas on how to let them get to know each other first to make it easier to add them next time https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

I hatched Ameraucana eggs last year. I was blessed with 4 hens and 3 roosters. The roosters were black as are 2 of the hens, The other 2 hens are blue. I could only keep 1 rooster so I rehomed 2 of them. Later I discovered that gold color in any black bird is a flaw. Leakage its called. My rooster, Golden-wing, is as sweet as he is beautiful. Hes a good protector of his flock and not a reject in my eyes.
Very pretty flock! Sounds like Golden-Wing is a great rooster to have for a flock guardian!

Very nice Easter Eggers, you should be getting a nice variety of egg colors.
Chickens in general tend to be mean to new birds added to a flock as they get the pecking order straightened out, there is a nice article in the Learning Center that might give you some ideas on how to let them get to know each other first to make it easier to add them next time https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

These are Easter Eggers? The guy said they are Ameraucana, what is the difference?

I ordered a blue ameraucana from meyer hatchery. I actually would love a splash, but they only sell blue with a chance for splash or black. What I'm really waiting for is beautiful blue eggs! We have had the chicks for two days and she is everyone's favorite. Great personality already.

What an absolutely adorable chick! I can see why she is the family favorite! (Great pictures!) Looks like she is a black? She should lay you lots of blue eggs!

Back
Top Bottom