Chicken Breed Focus - Ameraucana

I breed and raise Wheaton Ameraucanas in Southern Ontario Canada. I prefer this coulour as they have a sex linked colour gene that allows for very early sexing. As early as 5-6 days old. I invested in this breed for their tolerance to cold weather as we have some nasty winters here. Mine free range and come in at night but I never provide a heat source. They are tough birds and great layers. I dont expect them to lay a lot in winter months as I prefer them to keep their calories for keeping warm. I have had one go broody and she was a FANTASTIC mother. I typically use bantam cochins to raise the chicks tho. My breeding roo is so sweet and wonderful. He is 5 years old now and I have not ever messed with what mother nature blessed him with. Wings in tact and Huge spurs. He is gentle enough to be handled and eat out of my hand and man enough to battle raccoons and hawks (ive seen it with my own eyes) while I ran to get a broom or a pellet gun to back him up. He has never needed my assistance. I love him more than words can say. He builds nests for his girls and always feeds them the best morsels of food.

The only negative I can say is the "Other Breeders" that are so hardcore they will call your stock EE's if the colour isnt right. I breed a lot of purebred birds from good quality breeding stock. I have a brown red hen that has given me many stunning Pullets that have muffs and beards but comes out llike a brown wheaton and conforms everyway but colour and other ameraucana breeders just get plain NASTY. I have decided to not get tangled in that web and continue to keep the brown wheaton girls too. None of my customers have ever complained.

I am happy to see this is a featured breed. I put a lot of time effort and love into the chicks I raise. And am proud to be the only Wheaton Ameraucana breeder in Canada ;)

I breed and raise Wheaton Ameraucanas in Southern Ontario Canada. I prefer this coulour as they have a sex linked colour gene that allows for very early sexing. As early as 5-6 days old. I invested in this breed for their tolerance to cold weather as we have some nasty winters here. Mine free range and come in at night but I never provide a heat source. They are tough birds and great layers. I dont expect them to lay a lot in winter months as I prefer them to keep their calories for keeping warm. I have had one go broody and she was a FANTASTIC mother. I typically use bantam cochins to raise the chicks tho. My breeding roo is so sweet and wonderful. He is 5 years old now and I have not ever messed with what mother nature blessed him with. Wings in tact and Huge spurs. He is gentle enough to be handled and eat out of my hand and man enough to battle raccoons and hawks (ive seen it with my own eyes) while I ran to get a broom or a pellet gun to back him up. He has never needed my assistance. I love him more than words can say. He builds nests for his girls and always feeds them the best morsels of food.

The only negative I can say is the "Other Breeders" that are so hardcore they will call your stock EE's if the colour isnt right. I breed a lot of purebred birds from good quality breeding stock. I have a brown red hen that has given me many stunning Pullets that have muffs and beards but comes out llike a brown wheaton and conforms everyway but colour and other ameraucana breeders just get plain NASTY. I have decided to not get tangled in that web and continue to keep the brown wheaton girls too. None of my customers have ever complained.

I am happy to see this is a featured breed. I put a lot of time effort and love into the chicks I raise. And am proud to be the only Wheaton Ameraucana breeder in Canada ;)

You can sex your Wheaten Ameraucanas at 5-6 days old???
ep.gif
Please tell me how!
bow.gif
I just hatched some Wheaten Ameraucanas this spring from shipped eggs from LarkRise. Only 4 chicks hatched, and I am really hoping for at least a couple of girls!
fl.gif
They all looked the same to me as chicks though - if there is a way to tell before they get their adult feathers I would LOVE to hear it! My chicks are almost 4 weeks old now and I think I can recognize at least one of them as a boy for sure because of the very dark feathers coming in on his neck. But I am not sure about two of the others
idunno.gif
(the fourth I am pretty sure it is a pullet by its coloring).

Last edited:

I am really enjoying our 5 ameracauna hens. We lost our roo in January :-( we miss him very much. We are new last year to having chickens but we are really happy with this breed. They're sweet, neat looking and full of personality. We have a cross beak girl that lives inside the house with us. She's amazing. As you can see she gets along with the cats and dog and enjoys lounging on the couch.

I am really enjoying our 5 ameracauna hens. We lost our roo in January :-( we miss him very much. We are new last year to having chickens but we are really happy with this breed. They're sweet, neat looking and full of personality. We have a cross beak girl that lives inside the house with us. She's amazing. As you can see she gets along with the cats and dog and enjoys lounging on the couch.

Good looking birds, but they are actually Easter Eggers rather than Ameraucanas.

I had three Ameraucanas . . . one died when it was little, and the other two died just a couple months ago for no reason what so ever. I still can't figure it out. One was just gone in the morning, and the other one had flown out of the coop by accident and I tried to chase it back in, and it was just gone! I never saw it again. It's a mystery to me.

Nice introduction Sumi, gotta love those blue egg layers. Have to throw in a thumbs up to the bantam Ameraucana, nice little birds, really good egg layers for a bantam, would say they lay over 200 eggs a year, color is usually a greenish blue, they are not terrible broody and easy to discourage if they do, sweet birds, no trouble with the flock,,, only real negative I can think of is they are good flyers and have a tendency to want to roost in trees (though they are at least smart enough to go in the coop when the weather gets bad).
Little Lavender girl (lavender is not a recognized color by the breed club).
I love that hen beautiful color whether recognized or not.

Back
Top Bottom