Chicken Breed Focus - Barnevelder

I have raised Barnevelders for several years now. We enjoy them so much. They are beautiful show birds, nice pets, and good layers.

Here are some pics I took after we got back from an APA show this past weekend. We did very well at the show with three of our hens.

And these bird's look incredible. Look at those bright yellow legs!! 10 year's ago I would have slashed my own grandma's tires for Barnies like these.

So my reason for getting a Barnevelder "Henrietta" is really a bit silly - nothing really to do with how they look or what color/quality their eggs are.

My grandparents, who were farmers in SE Minnesota, their last name is "Veld" and they are 100% Dutch so when I saw this chicken in the list of available at Meyer Hatchery, I JUST KNEW I HAD to have one in my flock of 12. As homage to my grandparents, I named her "Henrietta" - because that was my grandmothers name. She also raised chickens - white leghorns for selling their eggs and meat. I'm sure she is both laughing and smiling down on me as I embark on this wonderful journey. Here she is at 3 weeks.
MVIMG_20200422_194227.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom