Chicken Breed Focus - Bielefelder

I got my bielefelders for my SAE project (supervised agricultural experience) through my local FFA chapter. I'd had an eye for the breed as soon as I started doing research for my original flock, and jumped at the chance to get them. When I received the grant money, I ordered six chicks from Cackle Hatchery, and it was probably the best decision I've ever made. I've never had chickens as loving as those guys, they were never even mean to each other. A couple girls that were kinda outcasts in the main flock moved in with the felders in their separate coop, and they welcomed them both.
Sadly none of them made it to adulthood and I never got the chance to breed them ;-; I lost all of them to predators and mystery diseases. Out of all of the chickens I've ever lost I think it hurt the most when they were all gone.

I gotta say tho, the roosters are the best boys I've ever had. Never mean to their girls and never mean to people. They'd both sit on my lap even after they'd gone through the angry teenager phase. :lol:

I dont have any of their baby pictures on this phone, but this is Ash (aka Misses Potato Head).
1F76E87D-148D-4145-A2B5-7217F4CC2CE1.jpeg
DCAC7966-9C5C-4C37-8D91-B295E75E41D9.jpeg

NorthFLChick I love my Bielefelders. I have never had any luck with roosters - they have always ended up being too aggressive with my girls, and since I keep my birds as 'pets with perks' a rooster has never been essential to my flock.

However my husband fell in love with Bielefelder roos when we saw one at a friend's house, and I have to admit that Ben is everything she said he would be. None of my other roos have ever been as gentle and as caring as Ben is with my girls (and also with the other roos in the flock) - I think I have finally found my perfect rooster!
love.gif

3E252BEA-7C6E-4AB8-B544-A034AE4B0624.jpeg
One of my Bielefelder pullets 2 days shy of 7 weeks. I am fairly new to chickens but researched breeds and decided on Bielefelders because they are known to be docile, good layers, fast growing, and autosexing. So far they have been true to their breed. These birds grow like weeds! They are so docile and I like knowing my pullets (4) from my cockerels (2).

As you can see all my Roos prior to process.
My fencing and Solar charger. About 300 feet enclosed in a semi-circle. I imagine that someday they will visit it. :)

If you want a reliable delivery contact Murray McMurray Hatchery.
Mine were on the road for 4 days, that's what with virus and getting delivery brought about. All 33 were in good shape. The eggs I ordered from New York, took 8 days. 14 were sent, and 10 hatched. Not too bad after being bounced around and setting around in April.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom