Any advice on deciding between these breeds?

Rabes87

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2021
Hello everyone. We are looking to order some chicks to add to our flock next year. We currently have 2 Speckled Sussex, 2 Silkies and 1 Salmon Faverolle. Everyone gets along well and we never see anyone getting picked on. They are extremely affectionate with us and our young children. We know that these breeds tend to be low on the pecking order, so we do not want to purchase any breeds that may pick on them.

We are looking to order a variety of 6 female chicks from the list below. I've done research about family friendly, affectionate breeds that are not aggressive to others or are low on the pecking order. We live in upstate New York so we need breeds that tolerate cold weather. We do not care about looks and egg production. Our main concern is how friendly they are with one another and with people. We have introduced chicken breeds before and with a slow integration the above breeds had no issues with one another. We are leaning towards another Salmon Faverolle (ours has the sweetest temperament), Cochin, Buff Orpingtons and Bielefelder.

If anyone has personal experience with any of these breeds, we'd greatly appreciate any input! Unfortunately we can't purchase sexed Silkies, and after our only experience with an extremely aggressive cockerel, we're hesitant to buy unsexed.
  1. Ameracauna
  2. Bielefelder
  3. Black Australorp
  4. Brahmas
  5. Buff Orpington
  6. Cochin
  7. Salmon Faverolles
  8. Wyandottes (Love the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, but heard they can be aggressive with other breeds?)
Thank you all in advance for any input you can provide! :D

I have had Buff Orpington and Americana and both are friendly. I have never had an aggressive chicken only roosters. I handle them daily from day one and I think that helps. They all eat out of my hand and are not afraid of me at all. I presently have 7 different breeds of chickens and 4 different breeds of ducks. All play together nicely.😀

Awww do you have pics if ur current chicks? And Cochins are nice from my experience, I think since those chicks are new and all female they wont be takin all the way over lol. I have 2 ameracaunas, the most gentle and cuddly chickens ever (mine are) and are the 2 bottom in my flock of 4. I had 2 delewares (one got stolen) she was head honcho with my other delewares right in second. ameracaunas Are so sweet tho and good luck! Also salmon faveroles are super nice, my neigbor has like 15 and they will literally fly into your arms for attention😂😂

Hello everyone. We are looking to order some chicks to add to our flock next year. We currently have 2 Speckled Sussex, 2 Silkies and 1 Salmon Faverolle. Everyone gets along well and we never see anyone getting picked on. They are extremely affectionate with us and our young children. We know that these breeds tend to be low on the pecking order, so we do not want to purchase any breeds that may pick on them.

We are looking to order a variety of 6 female chicks from the list below. I've done research about family friendly, affectionate breeds that are not aggressive to others or are low on the pecking order. We live in upstate New York so we need breeds that tolerate cold weather. We do not care about looks and egg production. Our main concern is how friendly they are with one another and with people. We have introduced chicken breeds before and with a slow integration the above breeds had no issues with one another. We are leaning towards another Salmon Faverolle (ours has the sweetest temperament), Cochin, Buff Orpingtons and Bielefelder.

If anyone has personal experience with any of these breeds, we'd greatly appreciate any input! Unfortunately we can't purchase sexed Silkies, and after our only experience with an extremely aggressive cockerel, we're hesitant to buy unsexed.
  1. Ameracauna
  2. Bielefelder
  3. Black Australorp
  4. Brahmas
  5. Buff Orpington
  6. Cochin
  7. Salmon Faverolles
  8. Wyandottes (Love the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, but heard they can be aggressive with other breeds?)
It sounds like a wonderful flock! Sounds like you've raised them well!

I do not recommend Cochins, or at least, not bantam. They are nothing but broody sitters.

Brahmas, Orpingtons, Black Australorps, and wyandottes are outstanding breeds!
We have never had any nasty hens of the breeds I named above, wyandottes live super long.
My sister has a blue laced red and a gold-laced, the gold-laced is the only pissy one.

Brahmas and buff orpingtons are like dogs, very sweet and gentle. All of our brahmas love to be lap sitters and be petted on.
But beware, they get heavy and can suffer from overweight related issues. I just lost my beautiful Buff girl named Boo to similar causes.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask me anything else! :frow

1. Ameracauna
  2. Bielefelder
  3. Black Australorp
  4. Brahmas
  5. Buff Orpington
  6. Cochin
  7. Salmon Faverolles
I would most definitely say get an Australorp! They are so sweet! I have two hens and rooster that are Australorps and they very quiet and calm. They get along amazingly with the other chickens too!

Awww do you have pics if ur current chicks? And Cochins are nice from my experience, I think since those chicks are new and all female they wont be takin all the way over lol. I have 2 ameracaunas, the most gentle and cuddly chickens ever (mine are) and are the 2 bottom in my flock of 4. I had 2 delewares (one got stolen) she was head honcho with my other delewares right in second. ameracaunas Are so sweet tho and good luck! Also salmon faveroles are super nice, my neigbor has like 15 and they will literally fly into your arms for attention😂😂
I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow of our girls! That's exactly why we want more Salmon Faverolles. They're actually pretty comical too and are very inquisitive.

Thank you for letting me know about your Ameracaunas! We had an Easter Egger (which I know aren't the same), but she was extremely neurotic. We couldn't even touch her. I'm glad to know that Ameracaunas can be very sweet.

Back
Top Bottom