Chicken Breed Focus - Bielefelder

This year we hatched some Orps & Bieles together. They always remained close to each other even though we had a huge yard for them to spread out.

I agree that they're a very docile breed. I was always able to scoop them up with one hand until they got too heavy for my wrist. But, I can still carry 2 at a time - one under each arm.

Here was their broody mama - a bantam orpington. By 3 weeks, they could look her in the eye.
Loved the pictures! They are very calm. Very sweet.

I am planning on getting beilfelders does anyone have any tips for raising and getting them
Hatching eggs can be shipped if you can't find anyone local who raises them. Downside (besides price) is a lower hatch rate. The air cells detach & make it difficult for chicks to hatch. If you want more than a few, then there are some breeders who will ship day old chicks.

For me, the best way to go was to incubate local (or semi-local) eggs. Find a BYC thread from your region & see if anyone has the breed(s) you want. Facebook & Craigslist are other local places to look. For me, the breeder was 3 hrs away. I happened to have a family member living nearby, so I combined my fertile egg run with a family get-together. I got 100% hatch and high quality birds!

I am planning on getting beilfelders does anyone have any tips for raising and getting them
It is my understanding that all Bielefelders are from Greenfire Farms. So you could try them. I know that Feels Right Farms has them. Buzzardairline.com has them.
Also people that are on this thread and the other Bielefelder thread. You will love these chickens! Good luck.

I agree that they're a very docile breed. I was always able to scoop them up with one hand until they got too heavy for my wrist. But, I can still carry 2 at a time - one under each arm.

Docile yes, but I need both my arms to pick up my 7 month old pullet Chipmunk - I don't think I could manage her under one arm. Maybe I need to take up weightlifting classes
wink.png

I found Bielefelder isn't hardy in wet climate. I loose 4 out 5 cockerels and loose 1 out of 7 cockerels Bilelefelder x Cream Legbar cross. The pure Bielefelder breed appear little bigger, but seems mature much slower. I've been culling the noisy one and few slow growth. Here are few photos (1 Bielefelder and few cross).
As far as the chick go, they are autosex after hatch.

Ive had Bielefelders and Cream Legbars and the cross of the two for a few winters and have had zero issues with weather . Its very humid and wet here in Missouri and cold in the winter . Never had a bird show any signs of distress and gather eggs daily . I give them no supplemental heat or light

Ive had Bielefelders and Cream Legbars and the cross of the two for a few winters and have had zero issues with weather . Its very humid and wet here in Missouri and cold in the winter . Never had a bird show any signs of distress and gather eggs daily . I give them no supplemental heat or light

I live in Washinton state so it raining a lot here. How are your across hen laying? Is the egg olive color?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom