Chicken Breed Focus - Brahma

Good to hear about the crowing, he has not even tried yet but I was thinking his crow would match his huge size and was worried. Yeah my lights are sweet but a little skittish. They let me catch them and eat out of my hand but they are a little flighty, though they have a lot of trauma with my older girls, one of them wants to kill them all and had to be quarantined and the rest are at the very least bossy.
Brahmas are the sexy bass singers of the chicken world. So far, all I've ever heard from them is a short, low one-syllable call--like he's impersonating a foghorn that's really far away. I've heard two crow (a light and a dark), and both were about the same on this front. My Welsummer sounds louder at the property line than the Brahma does in the room next to me through an open door. Muted tubas versus trumpets and bugles.

Brahmas are the sexy bass singers of the chicken world. So far, all I've ever heard from them is a short, low one-syllable call--like he's impersonating a foghorn that's really far away. I've heard two crow (a light and a dark), and both were about the same on this front. My Welsummer sounds louder at the property line than the Brahma does in the room next to me through an open door. Muted tubas versus trumpets and bugles.
Oh that would be wonderful! My neighbors are very tolerant so if he proves to be the same he may get to stay....if he stops making the girls scream for their lives. I love my Brahma pullet, she is brash with the older girls but still so sweet. I love her moxy, she is the only one brave enough to try eating with the big girls (it probably helps that she is the same size already). She loves the cockerel but doesn't take any crap from him she has to coax him to try anything new like roosting and such, she goes to him and seems to talk him into it and encourage him along, calling to him from the roost. I am hoping she moves up in ranks, my head hen (Production Red) is a little terrorist.

@newmarch2014 , your pullet sounds like quite a gal
smile.png

@newmarch2014 , your pullet sounds like quite a gal
smile.png
she is hilarious, the first few times she tried to roost he was out in the run so she came down and came out and "talked" to him, he followed her into the coop and she jumped up on the roost and continued to make noise at him. He looked at the roost nervously for awhile and thought about trying to get up but finally gave up and went to bed on the floor, she resolutely sighed and joined him on the floor each time, it was quite the drama. Last night was the first night she talked him into doing it,,,,he made it and she let him get settled and then snuggled up next to him. too cute.

Last edited:
she is hilarious, the first few times she tried to roost he was out in the run so she came down and came out and "talked" to him, he followed her into the coop and she jumped up on the roost and continued to make noise at him. He looked at the roost nervously for awhile and thought about trying to get up but finally gave up and went to bed on the floor, she resolutely sighed and joined him on the floor each time, it was quite the drama. Last night was the first night she talked him into doing it,,,,he made it and she let him get settled and then snuggled up next to him. too cute.

Aww, too cute, thanks for sharing!

I love this breed. They are super friendly and loving and make great mommas to my guinea eggs. I have one that is a super loving pet and another one that sits in my lap before bedtime for special scratching and petting that she asks for herself. They do seem to pant a lot in the heat and prefer my Florida summer climate to be cooler but they are a wonderful breed. I wouldn't say they are my most consistent layers but they are very special birds. I have Lily, my dark brahma princess, and Mellie with her sister Wild Thing, a wonderful momma.

I love this breed. They are super friendly and loving and make great mommas to my guinea eggs. I have one that is a super loving pet and another one that sits in my lap before bedtime for special scratching and petting that she asks for herself. They do seem to pant a lot in the heat and prefer my Florida summer climate to be cooler but they are a wonderful breed. I wouldn't say they are my most consistent layers but they are very special birds. I have Lily, my dark brahma princess, and Mellie with her sister Wild Thing, a wonderful momma.
I know what you mean, even my Light Brahma is the first to go breathless in the heat. I try to give them wet sources of ground to stay cool because shade is not enough. we have only been in the mid 20's C too, next week high 30's. Good Luck. Her name is Oh BeeGee, btw. Skittish somewhat. Adorable plenty.

Back
Top Bottom