Chicken Breed Focus - Campine

:hit
You're welcome! I'm so honored to be able to support this beautiful and critically endangered breed. :D -Alex

I couldn't agree more. Those of us who are blessed to own this breed ought to sing its praises at every given opportunity...before it's too late. That would be a sad, sad day in chickendom. :(

Last edited:
@Wisher1000 and @Drieslag, your birds are incredible. I hold nothing but respect for you two as breeders, and wonderfully kind ones, at that!
big_smile.png

-Alex

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the last ASAP (hard to get it in Belgium) but over here we make do with this 1914 drawing as the ideal to strive for.
And not forgetting productivity and liveliness in the hens as well.
The hen accompanying the rooster in the picture below was close to perfect, but was considered to have a tail that was too fanlike. You can look her up on archive.org, she 's still probably a lot better than what most of us have.

I must say that even in diagram form, that rooster is simply regal, @Drieslag . Who among us wouldn’t love to have a bird like that based on looks alone...and the mischievous, silly Campine temperament would make it even better! I am fascinated by your story of how the Campine was reintroduced to its homeland after many decades of absence and is now making a comeback. Kudos to you and your fellow breeders for bringing about its revival. Best wishes to you all!

@Wisher1000 , two of my favorites, the Campine and Sumatra, show up as "Critical" on The Livestock Conservancy CPL. I agree with you that more serious, dedicated breeders are urgently needed, and I will consider your "challenge."

Please do, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me here any time.

I took 14 Campines to the Chattahoochee Valley Poultry Show in Newnan, GA this past weekend. Of course, mine were the only ones there - with one exception ..... sorta'. A young lady from my state that is very active in 4H bought a cockerel from me two weeks ago and she showed him in the youth class. He got Reserve Grand Champion Large Fowl! (for those of you not familiar with showing, that means he was chosen the second best non-bantam chicken shown by the younger exhibitors.)

I was THRILLED!!!! She and I shared lots of hugs, high fives, and fist bumps. It was so much fun.

Final hatch numbers were 13 of the 15 Campine eggs from @Wisher1000 hatched. I had to help 3 of them at one point or another, so those 3 may be weaker, time will tell. The little blonde in front is one of the Breda Fowl chicks as are the two up front, but the Campines are obvious by their leopard spots. LOL

I've got the sweetest Campine girl! She is 22 weeks old and no egg. Are they late layers?

Here she is getting morning loves.

Back
Top Bottom