Chicken Breed Focus - Campine

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/more-cookie-and-alex

(Alex, hope you don't mind? I thought it was a good article and loved the pictures!)
Not at all! You are so kind to compliment my pictures.
big_smile.png

-Alex

:hit
You're welcome! I'm so honored to be able to support this beautiful and critically endangered breed. :D -Alex

I couldn't agree more. Those of us who are blessed to own this breed ought to sing its praises at every given opportunity...before it's too late. That would be a sad, sad day in chickendom. :(

Last edited:
I could'n't agree more that Alex and Ihi resemble each other, most likely because they both have those ornery, impish expressions on their faces. And don't forget that glint in the eye! :p  Your girls are sooooooo cute! W'e're planning on getting a Fayoumi sometime soon, so we'll see how that goes. :)  Then we would have triple the trouble!

It is possible that they might be sisters, come to think of it. When was Ihi's hatch date? Alex was a March 30, 2015 baby. One of my very good friends on here has a Blue Splash Marans who hatched the same day, came from the same hatchery, and looks identical to my own, so it's very possible. 

Speaking of Blue Splash Marans, yes, that is exactly what you see in Alex's photobomb shot! Does she remind you of Frou-Frou? :)  I've read your articles and threads, so that's what I was guessing. By the way, I am so sorry about your loss of such a lovely girl. 

-Alex

Ah, nope, Ihi's a 2013 baby. But they still could be related, being from the same hatchery, right? :D The resemblance is just too uncanny. Just wait, if your Fayoumi is anything like mine, she'll be the sassiest little thing on two legs! Ihi's got the energy and Marama (the Fayoumi) has the attitude. Triple trouble for sure, you're in for it now. :lol:

She sure does. My Frou-Frou had smaller wattles, but that face is so similar. :love I still miss that bird so much, such a love she was, and I can't even think about changing my avatar even months later because she's been there so long... BUT, I digress, this is a Campine thread. :)

Just because, here's more of Ihi being Ihi:

The innocent look, after a long day of being crazy:

Love her big ol' fan tail!:

In the garden where she's not supposed to be :rolleyes:

Pretending not to notice me while eating some greens:

I swear, the only time she poses long enough for a picture is when she's drinking:

I have two Golden Campine hens. They are inquisitive, as in, they get into everything. When I was introducing my last set of pullers to the coop, I could always count on the Campines getting in with the youngsters.

Hi there everyone, I just noticed this new thread,very nice. Too mucht to comment on already, but here's my story. Born and bred in the capital of the Campine region in Belgium I spent my youth admiring the Braekels my father and uncle used to have. Later on I learned that my region used to have its own pencilled/barred variety namely the 'Kempisch Hoen' or Campine. But it had gone extinct... things happen I suppose. Then, 20 or more years later I discovered this breed called the Campine in the UK and US. Strange name?! And I soon found out that this breed came from the old Campine breed mixed with some Braekelblood and selected for henfeathering. So I adopted it as our own and one thing led to another. Now there are again dozens of Campines in their original homeland with 20 breeders supporting them. We still have a long way to go, but everything's looking very nice already.

Here's what our refound breed looks like today. Most of them are very dark looking with barred feathers, not pencilled.

Back
Top Bottom