Chicken Breed Focus - d'Anvers Bantams

Pics
What made you decide to get this breed?
I had d’Uccles but didn’t love the feathered legs and thought d’Anvers would be similar.
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose? Breeding and showing.
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed? Their personalities. They’re really cute and friendly and come in many colors. The females tend to be little spitfires. I personally think d’Anvers are the cutest breed ever.
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!
1F0D93F5-CBE4-4C8E-8F1F-9F97AC918B69.jpeg

Do u keep Male blues aswell?
And I I was to breed blue quail Male to a black quail female what colour chicks would the have I'm think 50 50 but not sure
Yes I do, but I don’t have any great pics right now. Yes you’d get fifty fifty. A lot of my good pullets come from a blue quail hen and all come from the same quail cock.

View attachment 1476872 View attachment 1476873 I have 5 "blue quail" ordered from Ideal about 4 weeks ago. They were troopers, placed in a box with 15 full sized chicks. The size disparity was significant but they found a corner to cower in for the trip and made it without being trampled, surprisingly.
I wanted some super friendly birds with clean legs... no muddy foot feathers, a propensity to go broody and likely to be able to both fly and forage. I've discovered, with some research, a wide variety of colors can be found.
I'm happy with the birds so far with regards to their willingness to be handled but as can be seen from the pictures they are a poor example of the breed standard. One has a single comb and another has some faint leg feathering. Yet another seems to have no potential beard but maybe that will change in time. Needless to say, I won't be purchasing any addition birds of this breed from Ideal. I do have 15 standard quail ordered from McMurray this week.
I'm so glad you posted the 2 photos 9f yout blue quail d'Anver chicks. I've been searching for photos of blue quail d'anver chicks yo help me identify mine, which I also got from Ideal Poultry. Mine are now 1 month old and I still couldn't identify them, as they seem very similar to the mille fleur and golden neck Old English Game bantam and buff Sebright I also got from Ideal Poultry.

I posted photos of my chicks here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/identify-chicks-breed-color-and-sex.1471100/

Last edited:
IMG_0533.jpeg

Flüfen is a blue laced Belgian d’Anvers bantam rooster. He is the love of my life!

He’s a trained service roo, and has such a beautiful, kind, loving personality. He’s a clown for the lulz, and loves meeting people. He goes everywhere with me and he just loves it!

I absolutely adore my lil blue roo! He has an Instagram account @lilblueroo
Which you can view without joining via a web browser.

I got this little one at our local feed store- they had gotten an assortment of bantams and from their list, I decided she was a Belgian quail- am i correct? She didn’t look like she could match any of the other breeds that the store received. Such a little peanut! Here she is at a day old and now at 4 weeks- I’m hoping she stays a hen! Her golden feathers that are now coming in are so pretty!

View attachment 1338484

View attachment 1338483 View attachment 1338482
Omg awwwwe my boy did this! Had him in a sling around my neck, I open it up to check on him, and he’s full on lounging on his back, feet kicked up, head tilted at me “What? You need something?” So freaking cute and sassy!
IMG_0258.jpeg

View attachment 3684751

Flüfen is a blue laced Belgian d’Anvers bantam rooster. He is the love of my life!

He’s a trained service roo, and has such a beautiful, kind, loving personality. He’s a clown for the lulz, and loves meeting people. He goes everywhere with me and he just loves it!

I absolutely adore my lil blue roo! He has an Instagram account @lilblueroo
Which you can view without joining via a web browser.
He actually appears to be self blue (meaning he is lavender.)

Back
Top Bottom