Chicken Breed Focus - d'Uccle bantams

The youngest Millie Fleurs on the farm

E4C844D7-9EC9-4C86-A0D1-810BE7A56A75.jpeg

Hello!
My D’uccle is named Nugget and she is LOUD. I love her so so much but I got her about 4 months ago and she is still very skittish! She was warming up to me at first but now nothing has really changed. She is roughly 10 or 11 months old and is definitely at the top of the pecking order!
Any recommendations to get her to trust me and warm up to me a little easier?

I got my only d'Uccle as an extra. My kids thought that she looked like a penguin. She chirpped all the way home so we decided to name her "Peeper" I was told that she was a silkie and at the time I didn't know any better, so it wasn't till she started to get her feathers that I realized that she wasn't. It took me a while to find out what she was. I haven't seen another mottled d'Uccle except in pictures. She is 3 now and is the last of my first group of chickens. She has never laid that well, but she is goes broody every year at least once. It is funny to see her trying to keep the chicks warm especially when they get bigger then she is.

The day we brought her home.

Last year with her 2 chicks... She gets whiter with every molt.

That is one cute bird.

My little girl looks the same but doesn't have any feathers on her little toes, can someone please explain this?? I'd really like to know what her breed is as she was a gift to me & my flock.
Looks like a small rose comb. So she may be a d'Anvers. The tiny Barbus from Belgium come in many shapes and colours: http://www.britishbelgianbantamclub.com/gallery.html
They are all wounderful pet-chickens and at least my Barbus are laying well during the warm season, if they are not bussy raising chicks. They go brody frequently and some hens will raise batch after batch and exhaust themself doing so. So have an eye on that and stop them early.
The are so sweet and you may find it hard to tell them no. If you are not careful you will find yourself sitting on the sofa watching telly surrounded by tiny chickens or you wake up to the rooster's crow and chatty little hens roosting on your bedside cabinet.

Back
Top Bottom