Chicken Breed Focus - Hamburg

I had one Hamburg in my first flock. I got her randomly in a mixed group. I would not recommend this breed for beginners, but she was my favorite in that flock! She was so beautiful and very smart. I loved how clever she was but she did sometimes outsmart us. She would hide her eggs all over our yard. Also, she was very flighty. She even got up onto our roof at one point! A Hamburg would still make a great addition to any flock!

She's beautiful, @Alexandra33 :)

Her tail is actually why I chose Silver Spangled Hamburgs; such a beautiful full tail and an intricate pattern; so very regal!

Thank you! I couldn't agree more about that beautiful tail. So impressive.
263a.png

Beautiful girl Alex! :thumbsup

Thanks so much! I have to admit, I also think she's lovely. But that could be attributed to my severe bias.
1f60a.png

-Alex

i own a silver spangled hamburg and i named her dotty, i purchased dotty from murray mcmurray hatchery as a chick. i picked her breed out because i thought she would be good to show, but i also have her as a pet. i love dotty's voice, its very quite and it almost is like a pidgin coo. she is very pretty and she lays white eggs.

this is her as a chick she is on the right

this is her when she was like 5 or 6 months old

I LOVE my Hamburgs. We started with 15 of them from Murray McMurray in our first flock (Silver Spangled), and I'm so glad we got them. We have 6 remaining of the original flock and two offspring from them. We have a terrible problem with predators here and since we free range during the day there have been casualties, but the six girls we still have are very savvy and know how to hide very well.

They are definitely a high maintenance breed, lots of rousting them from trees before bed and trying to keep up whith where they were free-ranging during the day. They even climb the mountain next to our home and travel up and down the creek bed on the other side of the property (sometimes for 1/4 mile or more, Lol! They are very flighty even though we handled them daily as chicks, but they will eat out of my hand and are great egg layers. I hope I'm never with out at least a few in one of my flocks.

Here are a few pictures of some of our Hamburgs, past and present.

@chicksurreal the 3rd photo down sure shows what a beautiful flock they make. Very eye-catching with all the black and white patterns.

I'm so very honored that my Avalon was chosen to be the face of this week's Breed Focus!
big_smile.png
Not only is she a prolific layer of beautiful pearly-white eggs, but looks and the capability to spot predators are other great traits. My girl is only second to the ducks when it comes to alerting the rest to a hawk or eagle circling overhead. And don't mess with Avalon when she's sitting on an egg, or you might end up with a bite out of your hand. Ouch!

-Alex
She is really pretty and that is a beautiful pic of her
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom