Chicken Breed Focus - Hamburg

I have two 12 week old Hamburgs, a silver spangled named Dotty, who I think is a hen and a gold spangled named Patch who I think is a Roo.

The pic isn't great, they don't sit still long enough to be photogenic!

I was hoping you would become a part of this Hamburg conversation, @chicksurreal ! Your stunning little hens and roo simply needed to be shown off here.
smile.png

-Alex

I was hoping you would become a part of this Hamburg conversation, @chicksurreal ! Your stunning little hens and roo simply needed to be shown off here.
smile.png

-Alex
Thanks! They aren't quite so stunning at the moment, the poor things are just growing out from their molt. Most of them decided to get nearly naked a few weeks ago. Lol!

You are most welcome - i'd put money on her being the "foxiest chick" in most peoples'​ flock! :gig  

CT

You've got that right!
263a.png

Thanks! They aren't quite so stunning at the moment, the poor things are just growing out from their molt. Most of them decided to get nearly naked a few weeks ago. Lol!

Haha!
1f602.png
I'm well acquainted with that hysterical molting stage. Alex isn't looking too great at the moment herself!

-Alex

They are incredibly pretty, but also very small... I wonder if they could be crossed with a larger bird to bring their size up a bit but still keep some of their coloration.

They are incredibly pretty, but also very small... I wonder if they could be crossed with a larger bird to bring their size up a bit but still keep some of their coloration.

We've also wondered about this. We keep our Hamburgs in a separate coop because of this. Our other roos are very large compared to the girls and I fear that they might cause damage to the Hamburg hens while treading. If I get a roo that isn't TOO much larger I might attempt it, but it would have to be the right breed and the right size.

I love my Hamburgs, they are small compared to a lot of breeds, but that is part of their charm, so I don't feel the need to experiment at the expense of the girls.

Back
Top Bottom