Chicken Breed Focus - Maline

Pics
So, Though I don't have this breed, I wanted to get them becuase they said that these chickens grew incredibly fast, almost like the Cornish x but without the problems. Do you guys know if that is true?

I'd surely like to know who or what article you read relating false info about the malines breed. Comparing them to the Cornish healthwise would be a bogus assumption in any way, shape, or form.
One of the key reasons this bird isn't bred for production is its slow growth. It takes generally about 20/24 weeks to mature and may even put on more weight over time. You can cull earlier if you want to sacrifice weight. The malines is a large fowl meat breed with excellent taste and plenty of distributed moistness throughout. A good breeder might over time reduce and improve the growth rate by outcrossing or documenting each bird before breeding. That should clarify your growth question.
Healthwise, this breed is a good cold hardy bird but it is also few in numbers and fresh blood is difficult to acquire. It could decline if inbreeded incorrectly. A lot of effort is being made to bring this breed back in better numbers for more to enjoy. Being a larger breed, this bird does have some maladies but not on the scale of certain cornish production birds.
D.gif
Read more and do your homework before investing!

don't worry I haven't bought any yet!!! I always try to find more about the breed before I buy any, but Malines don't have that much information about them and I just wanted someone who had them to clear it up for me!!! Thanks!!!

Hmm, there are 2 discontinued threads on BYC promoted by Shelley Scott of Canada. At an earlier time she raised this breed. I think one is called "Malines, the next generation". Quite a following if you read through it. Her and I are still good friends and converse almost daily via email. I believe it has been 4 years now since we both ventured into tracking down and acquiring this breed. I still have mine but she no longer has hers. It has been a real struggle and anything but a sucess as yet. I am still diligently working with mine.
droolin.gif

Good job raising such a rare and beutiful breed for so long!!! I will check that thread out

I want to purchase ten hens and two roos.
Or two groups of 5 hens and one roo.
Or, even some combinations that lead to either of those two groupings.
If it is possible to get more than one blood line, that would be great.

Greenfire is one option, but they sell straight run only.
I can't risk getting 12 roosters. That would not advance the breed at all.
It would probably only get me divorced.

Anyone who wants to help me obtain breeding groups of different blood lines, please contact me.
I have the facilities, the acreage and a desire to breed good meat for my family, and expand the breed in a healthy way.

I am located in Northern Ohio. I can travel to Windsor through Detroit if any fertilized "eating" eggs are available.

I'm experimenting with Bresse now and will continue with that breed.
The maline seems to be the next logical step.

Hope to find a little help here.

Many Thanks

Tim

First off, you will be very hard pressed to find many owners of Malines in the U.S. period. Other than Greenfire farms, there are less than a handful of us owning stock that didn't come from Greenfire farms. The new bloodlines you desire only can be found in Canada or Europe. I currently have a mix (cross) of 2 bloodlines I acquired from a Canadian source ( Same as Greenfire farms source )and my numbers are few until spring possibly. Ownership is a gamble and the effort to breed them properly is even more complex than you can imagine. Its a very slow process before you can put food on the table! Caution to the wind my friend!

@Our Roost What has been your feed regimen for the Malines?

For the Cochin and Wyandotte, I've started the chicks with medicated broiler starter with cracked corn and green leafy veggies.
I begin adding pelleted feed as the birds mature. Oyster shell is available free choice; cracked corn, BOSS, and mixed grains are offered in the mid day to supplement those in the grow out pens and as treats for the free ranging birds..
An occasional bucket of fruit and/or veggies from the garden is distributed during the summer.
Extra eggs are boiled and crumbled once a week.

Aha, the feed question rises again! Manufactured and processed feed "most" likely contains all the content necessary as a main feed. From chick to egg layer or table fare, many varieties are offered and you will find the ingredients of these products conform to a standard with only slight percentage or product differences. You might end up with a product preference or name brand determined by price or advertisement. In reality, you can maintain a pretty good flock with not much more needed.
Supplements and free ranging can really cut the costs of feed if they are available and you choose wisely. Location, location, location! Some states may have more of a variety of supplements based on climate and growing seasons. You can still choose wisely based on what's available. I firmly believe adding a variety of supplements can improve many qualities and health within your flock.
Do I house and feed all my breeds the same or do I differentiate egg layers from meat birds? I think this is where the tire meets the road! This is where I think the diet can fluctuate and needs additives for special attention. Dual purpose birds that are used for both meat and eggs can have a thought imposed on their feed as well. The old adage of "you are what you eat" makes perfect sense. Each breed you raise and depending on their uses may change the way you feed them and what!
I have my dual purpose egg and meat birds in one coop and pen and my strictly meat birds in another. Their diets are similar but different. Protein levels are essential for all birds basically so a happy medium of not less than must be met. Scratch grains are low on protein but have benefits of other nutrients. Some harvested Oats have better than average protein levels making them a good filler to mix with feed and or scratch. I don't use a whole lot of either but always put out enough mix every morning to fill their morning appetite. As a main feed I use a local brand of manufactured crumbles also with some oats, grit, and occasionally oyster shell mixed in. I don't free range my birds but I have more then ample run areas set up for both coops. These run areas are where vegetable greens and table scrap treats are served up in what I call a safer environment. Run areas give me more of a reign on predators and just a better management of controlling my birds. Its my own preference after weighing the differences. Some chicken owners are suited for other means.
So when you choose feed also choose your purpose and decide accordingly.
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom