Chicken Breed Focus - Russian Orloff

orientpheonix, these are pretty easy going birds with really good temperaments. Once in a while you will get a cock with an attitude & a bit of a fighter, and those tend to be the top winners at shows for some reason. I had a pullet would follow me everywhere and came when I called her. Listened better than my dogs.

I must warn you, they are addictive & a bird the whole family will "Loff"

are they easy going birds. are their temperment like gamebirds?
Game birds are not aggressive birds, like you think of an aggressive dog. They are extremely humanized. Their aggression is a natural instinct which they show against each other, usually cocks. You can see this 'aggression ' in any flock or breed. As far as breeds go, Russian Orloffs are the second most easy going, non-aggressive breeds right after Faverolles.

Hi All! I first started a year ago with the Orloffs. I have been successful raising them in the high desert of Safford, AZ. Tips for keeping them cool are as suggested above. We, at our lil hobby farm, use kid pools with cinder block in center, open cat litter boxes for wading when in smaller sized pens, misting system, fans for hot steamy monsoonal days,frozen goodies, sometimes when I know it will be super warm, I will spray a corner of their pen with the hose to give them a place to lay to cool down. With all of the different breeds that I have tried, the Spangled Russian Orloffs are my favorite. I have taken them to a few APA shows and have had compliments on how mellow they are. Our favorite cockerel this spring jumped into my daughters arms for attention. Our girls are laying now unlike some of our other breeds. We are now taking hatching egg orders. This is Ms. September in the Russian Orloff Calendar!! Lol. We are very proud of her eyebrows.

what are there ideal temperature range

Being that they originated from Persia, but bred to the cold-hardy chickens of Russia, anywhere temperate to cold. It's been mentioned, there are successful breeders in Arizona and parts of Texas, so mindful ownership seems to be able to be accomplished in a varied temperature range as people also in Maine and Vermont own them.

Last edited:
orientpheonix, these are pretty easy going birds with really good temperaments. Once in a while you will get a cock with an attitude & a bit of a fighter, and those tend to be the top winners at shows for some reason. I had a pullet would follow me everywhere and came when I called her. Listened better than my dogs. I must warn you, they are addictive & a bird the whole family will "Loff"
I adore this photo of Martin!!!

You all forgot to show just how cute they are as chicks :)

We raised them for a few years and really liked them, but had to send all our brood stock to a friend when the plant I worked at shut down and the farm had to be down sized. Very calm and gentle birds, were very comparable to our big Orientals in the way they acted. Will raise them again one of these days.

I live in the high desert of Oregon and we get up in the 100* temps and they do fine as long as you provide plenty of water and shade for them.

Back
Top Bottom