Russian Orloff owners, I’d love to know their temperaments!

Jun 12, 2022
Southern California Mountains
Hi! If you have, or have had, a Russian Orloff, I would love to get your opinion on their temperaments and how well they get along with other flock members. I would also like to know if they tend to tolerate ‘confinement’ well, I don’t free range due to way too many daytime predators, but I have a large landscaped chicken run. I try and stick to more docile and easygoing breeds that are not prone to bullying other flock members, so I would like to know if they would be a good fit for my flock! I have a thing for bearded and muffed chickens, hence why I am gravitating towards adding that breed to my flock lol (also why I love Faverolles, true Ameraucanas, and Belgian D’Uccles). Thank you!! :)

Last edited:
Ours are sooooo sweet! We got them after they were picked on badly by older chickens, they’ve gotten so lush and gorgeous. Her kids spoiled them and did a great job of making them social. They’re in with a bantam Cochin cockerel and a Polish pullet, all similarish sizes

20FC9864-2BE5-455D-87CF-DE467678ED88.jpeg
B8F03298-1119-48E8-9404-91B0B2A58F47.jpeg

Ours are sooooo sweet! We got them after they were picked on badly by older chickens, they’ve gotten so lush and gorgeous. Her kids spoiled them and did a great job of making them social. They’re in with a bantam Cochin cockerel and a Polish pullet, all similarish sizes

View attachment 3188716View attachment 3188717
Ahhh they’re soooo pretty!! 😍😍 That’s great that they are docile and sweet. All of my girls are super mellow and docile so that is a major factor in choosing breeds for my flock!

So did you get any Orloffs? I too have found mine is sweet, curious, friendly, and a touch quirky and so far seems quite content with confinement! I also have found her to be both low on the pecking order, but not so low she doesn’t stand up to the older hens when they try to put the teens in their place. Her best friend is a Salmon Faverolle and I just adore her. This is Brownie, she’s 4.5 months old 🥰

Attachments

• 264C7AB6-5E4F-497F-A5C3-9BD89F8096F3.jpeg
    264C7AB6-5E4F-497F-A5C3-9BD89F8096F3.jpeg
    680 KB · Views: 13
  • 43490657-FABF-456F-9E6D-CA7FE999BDB8.jpeg
    43490657-FABF-456F-9E6D-CA7FE999BDB8.jpeg
    569.6 KB · Views: 12
  • EED7292E-737C-453D-AE93-E636BCD04160.jpeg
    EED7292E-737C-453D-AE93-E636BCD04160.jpeg
    509.6 KB · Views: 14
Hi! If you have, or have had, a Russian Orloff, I would love to get your opinion on their temperaments and how well they get along with other flock members. I would also like to know if they tend to tolerate ‘confinement’ well, I don’t free range due to way too many daytime predators, but I have a large landscaped chicken run. I try and stick to more docile and easygoing breeds that are not prone to bullying other flock members, so I would like to know if they would be a good fit for my flock! I have a thing for bearded and muffed chickens, hence why I am gravitating towards adding that breed to my flock lol (also why I love Faverolles, true Ameraucanas, and Belgian D’Uccles). Thank you!! :)
We have an Orloff and she is very mild mannered and quiet. Unfortunately she has been picked in and has no feathers in her neck so we just separated her from the bully Welsummer and we’re putting she heals and looks and feels herself again!

We have an Orloff and she is very mild mannered and quiet. Unfortunately she has been picked in and has no feathers in her neck so we just separated her from the bully Welsummer and we’re putting she heals and looks and feels herself again!
This is how I got my set of Orloffs, they’d been stripped naked from bullies. Luckily they grew in fast!

@kurby22 I lost one to a predator and now only have a single Orloff left 😭 The other two went to a good friend and I’m still struggling with that decision. They’re just so sweet! Orla is with a much younger group of pullets and they stay penned up for now. She seemed ok with my buff pen and her original mixed pen (Orloffs, banty roo, Welsummer roo), but I’m terrified of her getting lost…

This is how I got my set of Orloffs, they’d been stripped naked from bullies. Luckily they grew in fast!

@kurby22 I lost one to a predator and now only have a single Orloff left 😭 The other two went to a good friend and I’m still struggling with that decision. They’re just so sweet! Orla is with a much younger group of pullets and they stay penned up for now. She seemed ok with my buff pen and her original mixed pen (Orloffs, banty roo, Welsummer roo), but I’m terrified of her getting lost…
Oh sad!!! I’m so sorry you lost her 😩 Poor lonely girl! I bet you are a bit bummed you have your friend the other two! They really are just the sweetest birds! I would be super worried about losing your lonely girl too—I don’t think I will ever be able to free range because of dumb predators! I think you may need to get another one in spring, that hole in your heart needs to be filled! ❤️

Oh sad!!! I’m so sorry you lost her 😩 Poor lonely girl! I bet you are a bit bummed you have your friend the other two! They really are just the sweetest birds! I would be super worried about losing your lonely girl too—I don’t think I will ever be able to free range because of dumb predators! I think you may need to get another one in spring, that hole in your heart needs to be filled! ❤️
Don’t go tempting me now 🤪 Between Orla and Bluejay, the yard seems so lonely now… No one flying up to my shoulder at feeds, even though Ethel (banty Polish) seems determined to trip me every step lol. Orla the Second is still snuggly and Speck the Sussex is seeming to get closer to filling that hole maybe. She’s pretty sweet and doesn’t stay in the pen when I move them every morning. Just follows me over and waits for me to pick her up, such a good chickie

Back
Top Bottom