Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

Pics
Got my Sebrights in a bantam mix, I had no idea at first. Knew we had two Silkies, but the rest were a mystery. I realized one (Prissy) was a Sebright when she started growing in laced feathers, and at first I thought she had something wrong with her wings till I heard that was normal for Sebrights, but the other two had spots (they still have a lot of black). I thought they were OEGB, since we had a silver duckwing and the mix supposedly contained other types as well.

Got suspicious after they got older, and finally saw a thread on BYC that said hatchery Sebrights often come with low quality color, and the pictures looked like my girls. I'm not breeding Sebrights, so I don't care about the color. They are better layers than I thought they would be, and they love to get the snails in my garden and fly around the yard. Only one is wild and runs from humans, the other two are really nice. I thought Prissy would be really spunky since she conforms to the breed standard more, but she is the most docile around people and likes to be held. She is one of my favorite chickens. Almost sounds like a rusty wheel when she clucks, kind of squeaky.

Prissy, Tabitha, Belladonna and their adopted sister Marshmallow, they haven't had the heart to tell her she isn't a Sebright. Prissy is the solid gold one with a few feathers missing (she is so docile that she is a bit of a target for the roo)

Got my Sebrights in a bantam mix, I had no idea at first. Knew we had two Silkies, but the rest were a mystery. I realized one (Prissy) was a Sebright when she started growing in laced feathers, and at first I thought she had something wrong with her wings till I heard that was normal for Sebrights, but the other two had spots (they still have a lot of black). I thought they were OEGB, since we had a silver duckwing and the mix supposedly contained other types as well.

Got suspicious after they got older, and finally saw a thread on BYC that said hatchery Sebrights often come with low quality color, and the pictures looked like my girls. I'm not breeding Sebrights, so I don't care about the color. They are better layers than I thought they would be, and they love to get the snails in my garden and fly around the yard. Only one is wild and runs from humans, the other two are really nice. I thought Prissy would be really spunky since she conforms to the breed standard more, but she is the most docile around people and likes to be held. She is one of my favorite chickens. Almost sounds like a rusty wheel when she clucks, kind of squeaky.
Prissy, Tabitha, Belladonna and their adopted sister Marshmallow, they haven't had the heart to tell her she isn't a Sebright. Prissy is the solid gold one with a few feathers missing (she is so docile that she is a bit of a target for the roo)

They are beautiful birds! I raised three sebrights and a white silkie together too.
smile.png

Glad you're enjoying your Sebrights. Definitely not a breed I would have chosen, but I really do enjoy mine. I read that they're flighty, noisy, fair layers, & have attitude. Although vocal, mine flies TOWARD me not away and lays almost an egg a day. Her little noises are comical. Thankfully, she decides to stay in our yard with the flock.

Yours look like they can blend in very well. Do yours stay grounded to be with Marshmallow or fly up into the trees?

The Sebrights will stay grounded and roost in the pen because the rooster is a bossy chicken. They will fly across the yard, which incites him to go chase them back. Sometimes he hardly has time to peck around before he is off rounding up hens. He finally gave up on the OEGB, but the Sebrights and Marshmallow will stick around him now. Marshmallow was actually the largest chick and very even tempered, so they used to run to her when they were in trouble, trying to hide under her. Still like their big sis as far as I can tell.

Edited to add: actually, one time this past summer the skittish one flew up in a tree and when we tried to get her down she flew into the garden. We looked all over the garden for fifteen minutes, checking the weeds around the edge, the compost pile and underneath the bush beans. Not a feather to be seen, but eventually we found her in the peas. We had checked there, but the growth was sparse, so it wasn't the search focus. Hadn't counted on Sebright camouflage!

Last edited:
I also have silkies, sebrights and OEGBs! But my silkies are with my bantam cochins for now. OEGBs will be getting their own pen this week so I can hatch more of each :D the sebrights seem to like the highest roosts.

I also have silkies, sebrights and OEGBs! But my silkies are with my bantam cochins for now. OEGBs will be getting their own pen this week so I can hatch more of each
big_smile.png
the sebrights seem to like the highest roosts.

Yeah. My sebrights will come down and forage with the others but at night they enjoy perching up high. However, my low-status sebright roo will perch down low with the silkies, probably because of his position in the pecking order.

I just found a new home for Diamond and Beauty, my two sebright hens. I'll miss them, especially Beauty, but they were not part of my breeding program and Diamond's crooked beak might have been inherited. They got sent to a great home with my OEGB rooster, Acorn. I hope they're really happy there. : )

Back
Top Bottom