Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

Pics
Love your chickens! The Sebright hen in the forth picture and the silver duckwing look like my chickens.

And that Sebright rooster is gorgeous. How does he behave, is he friendly? I don't have any Sebright roosters, so curious about their temperament. They are so stunning.

I've read about them being aggressive, and mine have their moments. But I have 2, with only 4 girls at the moment, so that could be the reason. They have, on occasion, come at my boot, but normally they are very docile, and will eat scratch out of my hand. Dont mind being handled when I catch them. They crow all day long though, but its not very loud, and cute as can be!

I've read about them being aggressive, and mine have their moments. But I have 2, with only 4 girls at the moment, so that could be the reason. They have, on occasion, come at my boot, but normally they are very docile, and will eat scratch out of my hand. Dont mind being handled when I catch them. They crow all day long though, but its not very loud, and cute as can be!

x2

I had one mean little guy, but he had a lot of roosters to compete with and was handled a lot when young, and so had no fear of me. My knew sebright rooster was parent raised and has never once tried to go after my boots or hands or shown other aggressive tendencies.

Do you all find your sebrights to be good layers? I started getting an egg a week or so ago, then I started getting 2, now I'm getting 3 from 4 girls. I'm pretty sure I can tell which one isn't laying yet, but I'm so proud of them!

I'm happy with my girls' production. They started laying at the end of July and in November I was getting over 60 eggs per week from 10-11 girls. I'm not sure if they were even up to full speed before winter came and they slowed down to around 20 per week. Picking up again now, it will be interesting to see what they work up to. In any case, I see many little pickled eggs in the future. I love the small size of the eggs, they make perfect snacks.

Yeah, sebrights are some of the best bantam layers in my experience.
smile.png

Thanks!! I hatched these just 6 months ago, and some have been laying for a couple weeks now!
Now I just have to wait a bit longer and I'll hatch some of their offspring. I had them penned with some OEGBs, so I'm waiting to be sure they are pure again.

ForestGirl, you may have said, so I apologize in advance, but whereabouts in WV are you? I live in Wood Co, and have a camp in Mason Co. My large birds are at my camp, bantams at home.

Back
Top Bottom