Chicken Breed Growth Rates

Homestead Style

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 15, 2012
North Alabama
I have tried to research and find a chart that shows the different growth rates of chickens. However, I have not been very successful. I am trying to find out what the fastest growing chicken ( outside of Cornish Crosses ) is in months or weeks. It has been over 20 years since I have raised chickens, so I am out of the loop on the different breeds and growth rates.

The henderson chart indicates whether they mature early or not which is a semi indicator. early maturing lays eggs earlier but also attains their weight sooner is my guess. However most early to mature is also lighter weights with the exception of ameraucanas they are late maturing and small.

If you find one that talks about body size at age I'd love to get a link here in your post.

Some of the best birds you will find are delawares or del x hamp (Indian rivers) I have had both. The del x hamps were ready for butcher in 16 to 18 weeks. Delawares have been ready in the 18 to 20 week range. My Indian rivers grew larger than the delawares too, but that can all depend on strains. My dells are hatchery and my rivers were non hatchery birds.

Great Info from you both. Going by the Henderson chart, it seems that the New Hamps and Dels is a solid choice. I wonder how Rocks and New Hamps would fare together? My goal here is to choose the optimum birds I can breed and still achieve a fairly descent growth rate. I know Cornish Crosses don't fare well after they reach full weight, so breeding a second gen. cross isn't a good idea. Anything less than a six month growth would be ideal for me.

Between 6 and 8 lbs. would be ideal. I want to use the same hens to lay, raise and slaughter the chicks for my freezers. I will have 10 hens and 1 or 2 roosters for production. Minus the 21 day hatch period, I was looking for a 4 to 6 month broiler weight between 6 and 8 lbs.

Only if a person starts with large fowl exhibiton stock can they expect to exceed a 3 1/2 pound carcass wieght. Hatchery stocks have been pushed for egg producing birds, not meat production. Remember QUALITY IN = QUALITY OUT.
Also for some wieght gain, and better meat quality consider caponizing the cockerals. When you narrow your breed choices down, I would suggest finding the appropriate club to locate a breeder in your area and make arrangements to acquire a Trio of birds to start your flock.

Only if a person starts with large fowl exhibiton stock can they expect to exceed a 3 1/2 pound carcass wieght.  Hatchery stocks have been pushed for egg producing birds, not meat production.  Remember QUALITY IN = QUALITY OUT.
Also for some wieght gain, and better meat quality consider caponizing the cockerals. When you narrow your breed choices down, I would suggest finding the appropriate club to locate a breeder in your area and make arrangements to acquire a Trio of birds to start your flock.

Tru but hatcheries also breed for quick maturing. I have some hatchery birds and both the RIR and black australorp would be more than 4 pounds processed. They are about 5 months old. It can depend on what hatchery they are from.

Rule of thumb. The smaller the breed, they faster they mature. If you are raising meat, then a bird ready to butcher in 4 months needs to weigh more than 2 pounds live weight. Those little leghorns grow up really quickly, but they don't put much meat on your table.

Fast maturing probably should not be your best criteria. You also need size and good feed conversion.

If you raise Pekin ducks, they are a heritage breed and self-replicating. Some strains lay a huge number of eggs and you can grow an 8 pound live weight duck in 8 weeks. Or even more. Some of mine were over 9 pounds at 8 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom