Chicken Breed Growth Rates

Now if only I liked duck! I think they are the cutest little things I'd get them their own nice little pond but me and hubby don't really like duck.

I do like several of the chickens though.

Homestead - I'm currently working with several birds to do pretty much the same thing. One of my hopeful projects right now is crossing a black broiler with a red broiler. They are both hybrids so the result I'm sure will not necessarily be consistent. However, if I like the general bird that comes out of the mix then I can keep these hens and roo for 3-4 years. I couldn't keep the same lines going forever like you can with heritage birds. I kept the red girls cause the reds grew consistenly and the girls at about 20 weeks were 6.2 pounds. I kept the black roo because he grew to a nice size rather quickly (no CX quick). He also is mating but not crowing much. He doesn't spur me either. His mating seems to be fertile as I have several eggs in the incubator now that seem to be developing and when cracked I see the bullseye. Not cracking too many right now though I'm loading my bator.

I have other mixes I'm working with as well. I have several americauna eggs in the bator fertilized by the broiler or my 10 pound Orphington roo. I threw those in cause we did in some americauna roos earlier this year and they were surprisingly meaty for a small bird and very tasty. Hoping the Orphington will fill them out a little. The hens can be easter eggers or sold on craigslist. Since I sell fresh eggs having a few easter eggers never hurt.

Also have some Barred rock x Orphington in the bator.
A few Marans x Orphington really have high hopes for this one.

Have some quality French copper marans eggs and barnvelder eggs on order for about 2 more weeks to fill the bator when this batch comes out in 2 weeks. Long term plan is marans or barnvelders x delawares or wyandottes.

Just working with what I have grown and laying right now. Have some teen delawares too though they are craigslist probably hatchery stock. Keeping the largest and processing the rest.

I did some mixes of my black Eng Orp roo and cuckoo Maran hens, and I loved them, 1st off they were sex linked so I knew right away which were males or females. most of the females I sold at hatching, the males I kept to butcher. They grew fast and filled out nicely. the first were butchered at 14 weeks and dressed out 4-5 lbs. the next batch I butchered at 16weeks and they dressed out 5-6+ lbs. I also had some blue copper Marans, about the same age, they dressed out very nicely also, but not as heavy as the mixes.

azriel - The Orph x Marans is good news. I am hoping something I threw in the bator will work out to be worth my while. But like hubby says they still cook up even if they aren't big. Need to thin out some culls now that aren't going to be very big but they just came with the ones I want. Some smaller Delawares, some extra roos, some reds, some year old layers. Gotta make room for what I have in the bator.

My wife keeps obsessive notes on how much our chickens grow and made a nice blog post complete with impressive graph.

http://www.avianaquamiser.com/posts/Chicken_growth_rate/
Very good info to know. I'd rather have a smaller CX 4 lbs dressed than 8 lbs
goodpost.gif

Back
Top Bottom