Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

@chameleon
 How are the NN's to be?

Sorry, I was busy answering you when I lost my connection. Been trying all afternoon to get it back but it's not working so now I'm on my phone. I candled the eggs properly this morning and 9 are fertile and developing nicely. The other two hadn't developed at all so I removed them to make sure the others get enough heat. Not too bad under the circumstances.

Sorry, I was busy answering you when I lost my connection. Been trying all afternoon to get it back but it's not working so now I'm on my phone. I candled the eggs properly this morning and 9 are fertile and developing nicely. The other two hadn't developed at all so I removed them to make sure the others get enough heat. Not too bad under the circumstances.
That is excellent news about the eggs., sorry about the connection it happens all the time here either that or we get power surges and the fridge blows up!

So glad to hear that everything is going well. Can't wait to see the babies.

I have a huge problem with the Myna birds on my weavers nest, they are growing but the Mynas are hovering waiting for first flight I think. Horrible things. I haven't seen 'Yarp' my pet Hadeda for three days now I think she is also laying but goodness knows where as she can't fly very well. Will have to trek out into the bush and see if I can find her,because I am worried about all the predators if she is on the ground.

I've lost the chameleon as well, I saw the male sunning himself this afternoon but by the time I got my camera he had disappeared. Probably those Mynas.

My vet is so cross with me about treating Xara with homeopathic medicine, I took her today and he said she has hepatitis. So has Beastie cat, Reuben, Muzzie and me. Got new results back today, really not having a good year so far. Feeling very low
hit.gif
Sorry being very selfish moaning.

Oh well going to open a bottle of vino and bury myself in some Rambo movie.

Really sorry to moan, it's all I seem to do at the mo. Tomorrow is another day......

Can chickens catch hepatitis because right now my little animal family and I are riddled with it, don't want to give it to the chicks. I use F10 all the time to clean their coop and I do it everyday

@whoop whoop No need to apologise, sometimes you just need to get it out. I find that just putting it out there helps me process things better when I get discouraged. I'm so sorry things aren't going well, and I really hope things get better for you soon
hugs.gif
Enjoy the vino and movie and lets hope tomorrow is a better day.

As for the hepatitis I have no idea if chickens can get it, sorry.

Sorry to hear whoop whoop ! ask your vet about the chooks, but if they can, I guess you can't avoid it. and no, homeopathy is no replacement for real, scientifically proven diagnosis and meds. Sorry, the scientist in me gets cross, too. But you'll be fine! Just treat everyone properly now.
I don't know if one can't somehow get rid of the Myna's, they are SO invasive and destructive to indigenous biodiversity! I guess you'd have to be a REALLY good shot. Or try trap them? Humanely?

Hello. Does any of you folks know if Hi Line hens are heat tolerant. I want to know what hen best suites the heat here in Northern Cape, Upington. On a normal day in the summer it can easily reach heat of up to 40 degrees Celsius.

P.S the hens are for laying perposses.

Any thought is welcome.

Anyway Yes Bantams are the best incubators mine are permanently broody so I pop the Sebright eggs under them and they don't know the diff and are really happy.  Unfortunately Sebrights don't seem to be very broody or lay a lot of eggs, so any I get, I whip under a pekin.  Works a dream.  I so agree about letting chooks do the thing I could never be bothered with the incubator thing and plus with our power cuts god knows what would hatch lol

I had 4 hens going broody. But had no eggs for them as I have sold it all. When I got the 29 silkies, I gave one (Beauty) to one of my students that wanted one. Beauty has raised her own little chicks already and they have started laying eggs by now. So, I went to give her classes, then she came out with a tub full of eggs for me. I was so happy, 6 eggs for all 4 hens! I went home and gave the eggs to the hen. Then 3 of them decided: nah...this isn't for me... one kept on though, so I gave her 10 eggs. 2 weeks later... she also abandoned the nest! What a bummer... Have been struggling to get the hens to lay in the coop. They keep on looking for new spots to lay.

I know, it drives me nuts. And really I want to help the animals, but there's not much I can do. We don't have a dog because I have enough on my plate and couldn't give a dog all the attention and exercise it would need. Every time I take on a new animal I make very sure that I have the means to take care of it properly first, but they just keep adding animals. They're already planning to get more chickens again, but they want mostly roosters??? Another disaster waiting to happen. And as much as I'd love to, I can't afford to run an SPCA for all the animals they go through, and my husband would never go for it either.

When you get animals, you have to spend some time with them. Even 15min a day is better than nothing, but then you need to make sure that there are other ways your pets can keep occupied throughout the day without getting bored.

I had 2 dogs and a cat. The cat tried to catch some chicks 2x in one day. Both times, I intervened and the cat got a spanking. After that, I didn't have any problems with the cat and the chickens. But Mercy (he was never spayed) went onto an outing and never returned. Our one dog (he was my baby for very long), a JRx, never even looked at the chickens. He actually was afraid of them. He passed away 2 years ago. The other dog, Bullet (Fox terrier), learned to leave our chickens alone, but he couldn't resist the chicks. That we managed, by keeping the chicks and Bullet away from each other. We did try and get another dog (I believe a dog should have another dog friend, as they are pack animals. And also because I work during the day and don't like him to be bored alone), but that was disastrous. Vlooi was a nice pup, but wanted to kill the cat and he killed a lot of my chickens. I had to return him. So Bullet also passed away in December and we were left without any 4 legged children. I got a kitten (ginger cat), and for quite some time were looking for a puppy. We rescued 2 puppies. One is a Boerboel x Bullmastiff, Buddy, and the other one is a Rotty x Labby, Mia. Buddy is just over 3 months now and Mia is around 10 weeks. Thus far, I had no problems with them and the chickens. Buddy is very chilled and clever, Mia is very playful and impulsive, but lazy though. None of them is interested in playing ball.

This is Mia

Mia and Biscuit the cat

My 3 four legged babies together.

Isn't Buddy such a handsome goofball?

The chickens keep their distance from the dogs and the cat. Sunday morning at around 4:30 we awoke with a bang, when Buddy gave a loud yelp and started whining. We jumped out of bed and rushed outside, where 2 of our roosters stood, looking at him. We think that the roosters kicked him when he caught a rat in the garden.

Roosters, are they crazy? with all due respect to Roo's they are only good for one thing! - all Roos weird  - maybe they are going into cock fighting!  I'd keep an eye on that one - how's your Monday so far - it's stopped raining and looks like a lovely day.  My chooks are moulting feathers everywhere, but they look so smart.  Anyway have to get on washing day! and I must fumigate my bedroom I got bitten by a spider last night prbably brought in by one of my six, four legged creatures.  A real pain, swelled up like a ballon lol

I have to agree, roosters... they must be crazy. I have 3 roosters among the 20 chickens, and it's a headache. 2 of them are teaming up on one now and tries to kill him. King Arthur III is now under quarantine to keep him save. Thinking of selling Vanilla Ice and K-A and buying a couple of new hens. Want to keep Aasvoël's son, Arend. You can't have many roo's on one place, that is crazy.

Hope you are okay whoop, with that spider bite. Did you go and see your doctor?

Back
Top Bottom