Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Hi all I used to be on the site but left when I was forced to sell my chickens and geese because I moved :hit.

But now I am getting two goslings from my neighbours and I am so excited. Starting to set up for them and a bit nervous about my bull terriers mistaking them for chew toys...

I'm bahack! We moved to our own property (buying still in transit though) on 31 June. We FIHINALLY got power last thursday. And since then, I have been busy with the thousands of photos that I took at the new place and trying to get my website and FB page up and running.

I feel so sorry for our silkies. We have a Rescue center as our tenant! Yep, you read correctly! We bought a plot with a Rescue center on it lol. Spirit and Soul Stables rescue the animals that nobody wants. The abused and neglected. They mostly concentrate on horses and donkeys, but they have 'adopted' 7 unwanted and high care dogs as well. So, the dogs run around everywhere (you won't BELIEVE the amount of work that needs to be done here) and they're not used to chickens. So, I had to find a spot for them silkies to be safe in until we can find the funds, material and time to build 7 stables and fence off half of the property for the horses and the donkeys (there are 4 horses, 1 pony and 2 donkeys). Then we want the chickens to free range with the horses. At the moment the poor silkies are in a very small area, but they are safe there.

We also cannot start a garden at the moment, because of all the damage the donkeys, horses and puppies (4 pups: a Great Dane of 18 months, a Boerboel x Bull mastiff of 9 months old, a German Shepherd of 8 months and another little doggy that I'm not really sure of the breed or the age hahaha), unintentionally do to the garden.

But! chameleon, how are you doing?

Hey, welcome back! You have been busy, it sounds like quite an adventure! I'm doing fine. 4 of my hens went missing and I assumed it was the caracal that took out all of my landlords chickens, then 4 other hens went broody, 3 of them on the same nest, and one wasn't even on any eggs. I just finished separating the 3 into their own nests when one of the hens came back with 7 chicks, and then I managed to track down the other 3 too and move them to better nests in the garage. I had 8 hens go broody in less than 2 weeks. The only bantam that wasn't broody yet started laying eggs in the corner of my lounge and then decided to go broody there. I didn't let her and now she spent the last two days banging on the window trying to get to her 'nest'.

Hey, welcome back! You have been busy, it sounds like quite an adventure! I'm doing fine. 4 of my hens went missing and I assumed it was the caracal that took out all of my landlords chickens, then 4 other hens went broody, 3 of them on the same nest, and one wasn't even on any eggs. I just finished separating the 3 into their own nests when one of the hens came back with 7 chicks, and then I managed to track down the other 3 too and move them to better nests in the garage. I had 8 hens go broody in less than 2 weeks. The only bantam that wasn't broody yet started laying eggs in the corner of my lounge and then decided to go broody there. I didn't let her and now she spent the last two days banging on the window trying to get to her 'nest'.
Hahaha ok, that is very good news. Poor girl looking for her nest! hahaha.

My chickens doesn't want to go broody now. But at the moment we also can't afford to get more. I need to get my photography business off the ground now. I have made some progress though! Check out Happy Tails Magazine in October :celebrate and check out some videos I made (when you have data):

And my Facebook page (that's still in progress...):
https://www.facebook.com/brownswoodbeesphotography/

Now I only need to get a new camera, working lenses and CLIENTS, and then we need to get tenants for our house, a proper fence and stables for the horses (expecting 3 foals any day now). Why? We got the news yesterday that we need to go and sign the papers for the house:wee

Last edited:
I seem to have acquired some baby Venda chicks by mistake and now need some info on them. What are their temperaments/characters like? And egg laying, and broodiness? Unfortunately from the little I've managed to read about them they seem not to lay many eggs and be broody, exactly the opposite of what I wanted:( So I'm hoping they're at least nice chicens to have!

I seem to have acquired some baby Venda chicks by mistake and now need some info on them. What are their temperaments/characters like? And egg laying, and broodiness? Unfortunately from the little I've managed to read about them they seem not to lay many eggs and be broody, exactly the opposite of what I wanted:( So I'm hoping they're at least nice chicens to have!
Unfortunately I don't know anything about them. Sorry for not being of any help. How many did you buy?

Unfortunately I don't know anything about them. Sorry for not being of any help. How many did you buy?

I bought six eggs for my broody to hatch. Three have hatched Vendas and three are yellow-orange, which maybe either RIR or Boschvelder which is what they were all supposed to be. Time will tell I guess:)

I have chicks again! Jippeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4078.jpg
    IMG_4078.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4079.jpg
    IMG_4079.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4082.jpg
    IMG_4082.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4085.jpg
    IMG_4085.jpg