Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Pics
i also went.Didn't want to buy anything originally but couldn't help myself and got the sweetest most cuddly and tame little orp bantam pullet. she is gorgeous as well, splash colour and won first in her class. But definitely keeping her in quarantine for a month, there were some not so healthy looking chickens at the show by the time I was there on thursday..

i also went.Didn't want to buy anything originally but couldn't help myself and got the sweetest most cuddly and tame little orp bantam pullet. she is gorgeous as well, splash colour and won first in her class. But definitely keeping her in quarantine for a month, there were some not so healthy looking chickens at the show by the time I  was there on thursday..
that is great. Make sure you rub karbadust into your new orp. And definitely keep it quarantined for a month.

congrats on your purchase :) would love to see some pics when you are both settled.

whats the karbadust for? external parasites? I've had her checked by Dr De Beers in Klapmuts as well, he is a special avian vet, he is really brilliant. If you ever have a serious problem with a chicken you have to phone them at the birdclinic there.
My new girl is settling in well, she's had a bath (to get all the show dust and juck off her) and she's sleeping in bed with me. She loves to snuggle. And yes, I know I am nuts but I have to be her replacement chicken at the moment and she screams if I leave her alone.
I must say these little puffballs are adorable but they aren't the most agile.. She steps on her skirt when she walks, can you see?
love.gif

Hey Andycap, I am also loving the spotty girl in your pic! Such nice markings! What breed is she?

What a lovely splash Orp. Nice purchase :)

Mine is a mottled partridge pekin. i am a sucker for the "big balls of fluff" breeds, i am very surprised i dont have Orps or Silkies. i was considering breeding "Silkied" Orps and Pekins, but dont have the space at the moment. It isnt really hard to get Silky feathering on any breed, but you need space.

Yes, Karabdust is for external parasites, i find parasites a lot harder to find on the big fluffy varieties. Glad you have a good avian vet, they are few and far between.

I think it is great people are so close to their chickens, i am not personally, but my misses loves to pick up our Rooster and hens. She wishes she could have one likes yours! We occasionally have one wonder into the house, jump onto the back of the couch with us and watch tv. Very odd but quite cute.
i have seen mine trip on occasion, when running. But not that often really.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom