Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Oh no I'm so sorry!!
hugs.gif
I know the silkies are sweet and cute, I just dont like the feathered legs cause they'll get very dirty down here in our cape winter.and i am a purist and i have never seen a wild fowl with feathers on the legs..no offence. i like the natural thing. we also live on 2 acres in a national park where the chooks free range about in the day and have rock kestrels and verraux eagles,so i want the biggest, heaviest chicken I can get!! i swear i would get an ostrich if i knew he would cuddle me!!
are barred rocks not the breed they used to make koekoeks? what are koekoeks like? they are the only other breed you can get down here in the cape really..
do you know anyone who has sussex? i ve seen rugare poultry do, but i ve heard they are dodgy, what do you think?

Lol, no stress:) i am also not a fan of silkies
lau.gif

My chooks do have feathered feet, but they dont look that strange!

I dont know much about koekoeks to be honest. I found the Venda or Silver Sussex a lot more friendly.

All i know about Rugare is that they are VERY expensive. It is a great pity you can't get barred rocks or wyandottes, both are beautiful and very friendly. Let me ask a few other breeders up here, maybe we can get some down to you there. Do you have an incubator or are you looking for started stock?

thats a gorgeous girl, but as i said, i would be worried every second of every day she'd be eaten by something!
i dont have an incubator yet, but will get one and then get eggs so I can hatch them to make them imprint on me. was just trying to cuddle Rose, but she wasn't impressed.
hit.gif

I dont mind if its expensive, only need one batch off a few eggs, once.

Last edited:
Okay a brief look around, here is a number that should help you. The Western Cape Poultry club would be the best place to start, they can put you in touch with breeders of various species, hopefully some closer to your area.

The guys here say there is a huge poultry show (SASPO)coming up soon in Cape Town 25 – 29 June at Klein Plasie, Worcester. They have a huge diversity of birds being shown there, a lot of breeders are heading down and there should be a lot of birds there for you to pick up. Naomi (i think) at the Western Cape Poultry Club will be able to help you out. I added the details below.

Western Cape Poultry Club [email protected] / 082 468 8826

Hope that helps you out. The shows are a fantastic place to meet breeders and pick up some good stock. I have no clue if that is close enough for you to make it though?

oh thank you so much!! thats a great help! i have heard about that show and i am going to be all over it like a bad rash!!!
celebrate.gif

Hi I might be a bit late joining this thread, but I'm also from Cape Town - we live on a smallholding in Philadelphia which is between Melkbosstrand and Malmesbury. I currently have Rhode Island Reds and Silkies - which I love at least... I see they're not popular with you guys! Just bought a few Lohman hybrid chicks to raise as layers as well. The silkies are great as "natural incubators" as they go broody quite often and make great mothers. I like the prospect of naturally hatched and raised chicks
smile.png
Anyways, I am still looking to add some Light Sussex, Koekoek and Buff Orpington to my lot. I know there is a pet shop in Voortrekker road Parow, where I got my Lohmans from. The lady there breeds Koekoek and genuine Light Sussex as well as the Lohman (which is a commercially bred layer). Hmmm I might also go pop in at that show in Worcester!

Back
Top Bottom