Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Pics
I have a PEKIN BANTAM questions

1.)If you have a Frizzel Pekin Rooster and you give him normal feather hens what do you get?
2.)If you have a Lavender Pekin Rooster and you give him white pekin hens what do you get?

Also does anyone have blue mottled pekins? I have only the one hen.

Just want to say it is great to find SA people on BackYardChickens.
hey Michelle,

You should only ever cross frizzles with smooth feathered birds. And then you should get a 50/50 ratio out, half of each.

As for the lav X white.
If you birds are dominant white, then the offspring will be white with colour leakage(splotches of colour coming through)
If they are recessive white then they will be 100% black.

See here for the difference
http://pekinsnest.weebly.com/white2.html

Most South African Birds are dominant white, but i have seen quite a few recessives around too.

My friend and breeder Hendrik here has some beautiful blue mottleds, it is a great colour :)

Last edited:
Hey guys,
great to have some more local chicken lovers!!welcome! Allsortspoultry in vanderbijlpark are great, I know Kylin, Zane's wife, and they really care for their chickens.i.e. aren't in it for the money. very ethical. check out their facbook page! They have beautiful and healthy chooks!

Quote:
Well, we will find out soon. I didn't know that you'reNOT suppose to put smooth feathers to frizzle, and I have several chicks, so we will see.
I read on another thread that if you breed a Pekin rooster that has two stains of frizzle to smooth feathered hens that all the chicks will be frizzle, so I will get to test that too.

Well, we will find out soon. I didn't know that you'reNOT suppose to put smooth feathers to frizzle, and I have several chicks, so we will see.
I read on another thread that if you breed a Pekin rooster that has two stains of frizzle to smooth feathered hens that all the chicks will be frizzle, so I will get to test that too.  

hey Michelle. You are meant to put put smooth to frizzle. You are not meant to put frizzle to frizzle.
Hope that helps. Andy

I am so glad people are getting together from South Africa on this thread, i have found a lot of closed mindedness in SA with regards to quality birds and it saddens me. I have joined Show Poultry South Africa to try ad rectify this here.

We must try and help each other out as much as possible, even if it is just sharing ideas and contact info.

Although i do breed and sell birds, i am not in it for money, i just want to share my passion with as many people as possible.

Thanks to all of you and lets keep this thread/community going!

Andy

I agree with Andycap,
we need to breed some good healthy strong genes into SA poultry, and we need to spread the word!

Hi guys and ladies, I've been quiet due to very bad internet connection here where I am :(

Actually so frustrated right now. I only have my one Rhode Island Red hen left (thankfully the pure one), after my naughty Jack Russell, Lady, killed the other 3. So I have the Rhode Island Rooster and Hen, with the Silkies, and my Lohman pullets coming on nicely :) The Lohmans now live in the coop with the Rhode Island Red pair. Now for the really frustrating bit... I spent lots of time building a homemade incubator, and then 2 weeks collecting Rhode Island Red eggs to incubate. 10 days after placing the eggs along with some Silkie eggs into the incubator, and eating the rest of the eggs (since I have some incubating) my hen decides to go broody and I have no Rhode Island eggs for her to sit on! I had one left in the fridge (one day in there), so pulled it out to let it reach room temperature and placed that in the nest along with 3 silkie eggs... Oi.. The Silkies were actually acquired to incubate the Rhode Island Red eggs, not the other way around!

Anyways, I had 15 Rhode Island Red eggs and 7 Silkie eggs in the incubator... But many of the Rhode Island Red embryos died so there are only 5 RIR eggs and 5 silkie eggs left in the incubator, due to hatch on Saturday... If any of them hatch
fl.gif
Please hold thumbs for me, as this is already her second laying season, and now she's on "maternity leave"... I really want some chicks from this pair...

Also, my rooster seems to be having difficulties walking... So if it's hurting for him to walk, I don't want him to suffer... But I want some chicks from them because they are sooooo beautiful! Plus I paid R500 for the pair, reasoning that if I get some chicks from them it will be money well spent.. But now with all the embryo's dying in the incubator, I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever have some pure Rhode Island Red chicks from this gorgeous pair...

Back
Top Bottom