Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Pics
@Maksy seriously you gonna with the gardener, didn't you see/hear what CF said about the gov and Newcatles - typical Gemini - chill out and check it out take your time - it is seriously sad when you lose a chook even if they are 'made in ZA' i- Saturn will move eventually - don't be hasty
smile.png

Hahaha ok I know it sounds stupid but you don't know my gardener. He's in his 60's and is old school. I know other people in town he worked for who had chickens and they said he knows his stuff with them. We were discussing it and he's the one who told me which way to go when it came to the coop and where to put it and what to grow. I don't think we give enough credit where it's due. I would naturally make sure birds are treated/inoculated etc just in case.

Had a little visitor last night in our bath , wrapped it up warm for the night as it is ice cold here at the moment , going to let him go again when it warm up a little and hopefully he finds his way home.

@Macksy just joking with ya:) I have tremendous repect for my gardener too when we moved here it was miles and miles of f*** all and between us, we made a small piece of paradise - now he does all the work lol

I have got to ask what is a 'Zulu' chicken?
smile.png

@Cracked SA love your flock are they all pullets?

@Colin Fow did the visitor have legs or was it the slippery kind? either way you are very brave
hide.gif

A Zulu chicken is the indigenous fowl from KZN. They're hardy and well adapted to foraging.Very weather resilient.
And possibly the best feature, like the Nguni cattle, they're a lucky packet every time! Any given hen and roosters could throw out white, brown, green, red,striped, splashed, speckeled or any colour you've ever seen on a chicken.
ya.gif

Oh! And my mixed flock of 10 definitely has 2 roosters in there. (1 Koekoek, 1 RIR)
and of the Game*Broiler crosses (the youngest), it looks like 1 is a rooster but will be sure in 2 weeks.

A Zulu chicken is the indigenous fowl from KZN. They're hardy and well adapted to foraging.Very weather resilient.
And possibly the best feature, like the Nguni cattle, they're a lucky packet every time! Any given hen and roosters could throw out white, brown, green, red,striped, splashed, speckeled or any colour you've ever seen on a chicken.
ya.gif
Oh cool, I just read that you don't eat the eggs is that true?

@hedz82 Just got to tell you that my very very well behaved dogs (not) ate the dinner last night. I took the beef out of the oven to rest, whilst I made a pepper sauce and went to the fridge to get the cream and bingo Zenks had the whole thing in his mouth and he didn't so much a break a plate getting to it. I wonder if it is this new Orijen food they are getting or it was the smell that was too much for him? He and Xara shared the whole thing so quickly and then looked at me sayng 'anymore mum' honestly I have never seen him do that.. I was so cross but one look into those eyes and I couldn't shout...

I thought this Orijen food was meant to be the best as it is supposedly all protein - perhaps it has given him ideas
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom