Chicken compatibility

*Swoon!* Hobbit Hole! I love it!! These links are great. Thank you so much. I am on a budget but I think that Round-Top Backyard one is the perfect fit of all the features I've been looking for all in one. You're good at this! Even a spot for flowers. I have a tax refund due this year, that'll help and should come just in time! A kit will make this a cinch.

HUGE THANKS!
wee.gif

I would not put more than 2 full size birds in that round top coop. Never, ever go by how many birds the seller says will fit but look at the actual dimensions. The run there is only 25 square feet.......

I would not put more than 2 full size birds in that round top coop. Never, ever go by how many birds the seller says will fit but look at the actual dimensions. The run there is only 25 square feet.......

Oh, yeah. I was going to buy at least one if not two extra runs (and I'm somewhere temperate where locking them up isn't an issue).

I like those Clifton and Snap Lock coops, look really easy to clean! I think I need to go bigger now, though. The chicks I ordered aren't bantam and had to do a 7 chick minimum to ship to my zip code. I'm starting with a bigger flock than planned!
jumpy.gif
I'm a little apprehensive!

donrae, I was looking more closely at the measurements. The photos are hard to enlarge for a closer look. I think you're right, and I'm not getting bantams either. So I'd need to go with the Ranchette. This is my first flock and I really can't justify the cost at that price-point being brand new to this. I'd sure love to! But it just doesn't fit our wallet at that next size up from the Round-Top. That one was already going to take some saving up!

I think I'm going to go with buying plans to build one. It seems to be the way most people go. I'm not very able to do so physically, but I talked to my dad and even though he lives two hours away he said he'd drive out and give a real solid day of cutting and power tool work for me so I wouldn't have to worry about the epilepsy-safety aspect. Fantastic! He's an excellent builder. Houses, gazebos, furniture. He just is getting older so he doesn't do much anymore or I'd have asked him to build one. I know even with my husband's long hours, once he sees all the wood and parts appearing in our garage and in the backyard, he'll make time to pitch in. We have some neighbors in this little town that drive by a yard with a big project and can't resist stopping to ask about it and probably lift some boards up into place while chatting. I have a bunch of kids, young ones, but they can do some things. It might be a complete disaster. LOL But the nice thing is that I can buy supplies over the upcoming weeks, little at a time.

Since the minimum chick order to my zip code from the hatchery I used was 7, and they'll be cooped up for long, cold winter months, I wanted to give them more space than less. So I think I'll go with this one:

Daisy Coop with Run Plans

Maybe put a run beneath with an access door to it and extend it out one side, too.

Any thoughts or words of caution?

Last edited:
My two cents:

Get less chickens than you think will fit, then you can add more. People tend to have a very hard time culling those first chickens. And often times, a coop will seem huge when you put chicks in it, but as they grow becomes too small. MOST of the problem behaviors in chickens comes from over crowding.

Do not worry about warm, worry about dry. Dry chickens are warm chickens, and that is why ventilation is so important. A few head of chickens put off a great deal of moisture.

Last point, some chickens you will like, and some you won't. Don't feel guilty if you need to cull something that is not fitting in your flock.

Mrs K

It's a cute enough coop, and 7 birds looks just right, depending on how large the run is. I think building yourself is definitely the way to go. Dads tend to work pretty cheap! And never underestimate the power of bartering with home baked goods or meals. I've got my honey's single friends to do tons of work in return for a small pan of lasagna
1f60a.png

I think the coop looks good too. What kind of chickens did you end up ordering? just curious
big_smile.png
This is my first year with chickens. Learning as I go.

Thank you, Mrs. K! I think you are very, very right with culling. I think I *can* do it, but am 99% sure I absolutely won't! I have other family that won't mind. Otherwise I won't feel guilty; we all know where chicken comes from! I was vegetarian for over a decade so I'll just self-confess to being a lightweight wimp with this stuff.

Great point about keeping it dry. I've been wondering about a leaky roof if I do build, improvise or repurpose, or buy a used coop. I think of all the homes, even our own, that have had a wet spot in the roof or basement and the hassle getting that fixed. I don't know too much about that either. Another reason I guess to ask for help and get it done correctly the first time around. I needed the importance of that reminder, thank you!
smile.png

donrae, you bring up a great reminder, too! Bribery with food! That goes a long way! I know a lot of the favorites of family and some of my husband's friends so that'll help a lot!

Btw, I saw your signature line and want to echo the warm reminder to all, too.
hugs.gif
I'm on the registry and a Red Cross donor. Wishing and praying all the very best for you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom