Chicken compatibility

The variety of eggs would interesting to watch. Do you find the marans and welsummers to be friendly enough with other breeds in the flock and with people? I read that they aren't the most docile. But I'd like to consider them at some point because they seem to be beautiful birds and the variety of eggs from chocolate to light and the legbar with blue and the easter eggers with a wild card of variety.

The variety of eggs would interesting to watch. Do you find the marans and welsummers to be friendly enough with other breeds in the flock and with people? I read that they aren't the most docile. But I'd like to consider them at some point because they seem to be beautiful birds and the variety of eggs from chocolate to light and the legbar with blue and the easter eggers with a wild card of variety.
All of my birds are people friendly and get along with each other, although as is with chickens there is a pecking order. Considering I added different breeds at different times, I had very little problems with the introductions. All were gotten as day olds or hatched here and I introduced as early as possible letting them see each other for a while first. I divided my runs then opened them up.
The only problem I had is with the chanteclers who picked unmercifully on slightly younger chicks while the same age Easter eggers didn't (My Easter Eggers get along with everyone but can stand up for themselves although some of them are my smallest birds.) I solved that problem by putting them all in with the adult birds who accepted them all, including the younger ones. At that point the chanteclers quickly lost interest in picking on the younger ones. And now they fit in well, as adults.
The marans are beautiful birds and I love their feathered legs although I didn't think I would. I worried about the feathers but they're fine and I did read that they were from an area in France with marshland so I figured the feathers would hold up in the winter. Unlike some of the feathered leg breeds, the feathers go down the leg and follow the outer toe. They don't cover the entire foot.
The only negative thing I can say about them is the number of eggs they lay. They're at the bottom as far as the number of egg goes so if you want breeds for the number of eggs, these wouldn't be in it. But if you're looking for a colorful egg basket or want to use them to breed for even different colored eggs, a few marans are a must, imho.
I also have cream legbars. I hatched eggs. My thoughts are they are expensive and if you're going for colored eggs you can get the same colors with Easter Eggers or Ameraucanas for a lot less.
Legbars are supposed to be cold hardy but in talking to other people when I asked them if the legbars were cold hardy the answer was always yes, but.......then they would fill in ...not as hardy as Easter Eggers or as.........(fill in the blank.) They have the largest combs I have and the rooster's has just pin pricks of frostbite acros the top of his comb. So that is something you might want to consider.
On the plus side, legbars are sexable at hatching so you don't have to wait and if in making OE's the hen is the mother, the OE should also be sexable.
There are just so many breeds out there I want to try, but where I live cold hardy is a must.

Don't be surprised if your australorp is a bully. I got one along with two ee, and one red six link. The australop was a horrible bully to all 3 and was supposed to be one of the most gentile breeds. After some research and posting on here I learned that sometimes certain color birds need to be in pairs. I bought a black copper maran and the problem instantly resolved itself. In fact, the new girl became the top hen in the flock. Now the two black birds hang out together and the other three stick together.

Last edited:
Thank you! I was wondering if they'll use the run or not in the winter. That's good. I imagine being stuck in a coop for months and months isn't comfortable. I think I'd like to try an EE. Getting blue or green eggs would be fun. I heard they can give brown or white, too? But if I happened to get one that gave another color it'd be neat to see in the egg carton and to send home with friends.

Do you know anyone with Legbars and the cold?
Hey there! We have CL's and they are doing great with the Canadian cold! And the blue eggs are a wonderful addition to your basket! As a new chicken owner, I loved how I could expect that my order for pullets could be guaranteed as they are sexable as day olds. For me it balanced off the higher cost as I didn't have to worry about getting roos. If you can find a breeder in your area, I would highly recommend them!

Hey there! We have CL's and they are doing great with the Canadian cold! And the blue eggs are a wonderful addition to your basket! As a new chicken owner, I loved how I could expect that my order for pullets could be guaranteed as they are sexable as day olds. For me it balanced off the higher cost as I didn't have to worry about getting roos. If you can find a breeder in your area, I would highly recommend them!
That's some good points! Thank you! Given what Tjack101 said above, maybe I should swap out that Australorp for a CL! I really think they're beautiful.
smile.png

What is the likelihood with my first flock that they'll all work out well? I know some people said there could be some that are bullies or don't work well with the group and need new homes (or be culled) and even though I ordered pullets, there's about a 10% chance of getting males.

What have your experiences been?

The likely hood of them all getting along is quite high. Truthfully, if you start having problems, it is not the breeds but much more likely to be the space. What starts out as enough space for chicks, shrinks as the chickens grow.

IF you start having problems, reduce the size of your flock by a couple head, then wait a couple weeks and see how it goes, if it is still stressful, then reduce again. Through trial and error, you will find a good number for your set up. It is not black and white, but the BIGGEST problem in chicken society is not breeds, it is space. Make sure your run has hideouts, different levels, pallets on blocks, can allow some chickens to get up off the floor of the run, Lean up a pallet agains the side, gives some shade, and some out of sight time. While adding things to your run, may make it look more crowded, it actual gives your birds more space, and space that they can get away from each other if they choose.

Space is the biggest issue, not breeds.

Mrs K

Last edited:
The likely hood of them all getting along is quite high. Truthfully, if you start having problems, it is not the breeds but much more likely to be the space. What starts out as enough space for chicks, shrinks as the chickens grow.

IF you start having problems, reduce the size of your flock by a couple head, then wait a couple weeks and see how it goes, if it is still stressful, then reduce again. Through trial and error, you will find a good number for your set up. It is not black and white, but the BIGGEST problem in chicken society is not breeds, it is space. Make sure your run has hideouts, different levels, pallets on blocks, can allow some chickens to get up off the floor of the run, Lean up a pallet against the side, gives some shade, and some out of sight time. While adding things to your run, may make it look more crowded, it actual gives your birds more space, and space that they can get away from each other if they choose.

Space is the biggest issue, not breeds.

Mrs K
I agree with this.

As others have said, unless space becomes a problem chickens gotten as peeps together should be fine together when grown up.
My flock has had chickens combined six times to get the flock I have now which are confined to a coop and run for the winter. When the weather is better, they can forage. The additions have gone pretty seamlessly. The only time I worried was when I had to introduce a singleton, not the best thing to have to do, but it worked out.

Back
Top Bottom