Chicken Coop big enough?

Thank you everyone! We are going to go look at this one tomorrow...

Good luck! This one looks to be much nicer and better built and I think you'll be happier with going with something larger rather than smaller. When I began my chicken adventure just 2 short years ago, I started out with 4 pullets. I'm now up to 23 and there's no hope of curing my addiction. So, don't be surprised if your 6 hens begin collecting a few "friends" along the way.
wink.png

I think CarolJ has the right idea. The sexlink is not what I would call a large breed chicken. They are on the small side and I think would fit quite nicely in that coop. But then I all depends on the run size. I've found sexlinks to be active and need room. If you don't plan on letting them run the yard, build a very large pen and you'll be ok. But you really don't need the extra 3 nest boxes. In you case that wasted space. The second coop you pictured looks nice too.

I would be worried that the first one would be too small especially in the winter when you have snow. A big run would help overcome the smaller coop size but if they get snowed in, they would probably be unhappy and stressed. The second coop seems to be a better size and would allow for fluctuations in your flock numbers.
big_smile.png

Thank you all, yes, we like the 2nd one a lot better although it is double the price. :D We will see what happens when we see it tomorrow, I'll be sure to update on what happens and take pictures of the inside. :)

I am new to this also. My pullets are still in their brooder in the house. I am building my coop on the back of my garage. The chicken house is 48" deep (front to back), 50" wide, raised 43" off floor, & 24" to 32" (sloped roof). My 3 nest boxes are on the back side of house over all 12" x 40". The hole coop is 50" x 141" . I will then fence a nice large area so they can get plenty of fresh air & sunshine. Is this enough area in the house for them at night? They will be confined to the house for the night as we have alot of wildlife in this area. I'm not sure if I'm using correct terms, please forgive me if not, as I said I'm a newbie!! OOPS!!!! I have 6 pullets,

Just wanted to add, this 2nd coop we are looking at tomorrow is 4x6 and it has:

*5 nesting boxes
*18" x 27" window
*chicken door
*ramp
*8" x 12" vents
*entry door
**Back door of chicken coop lifts up for easy access to the nesting boxes

The first coop looks okay for 6 chickens. If you have a big enough run it will be fine. I have a 4x6 coop also and I am gonna keep 4 hens, 2 silkies, and 2 call ducks in there. Pretty much that equals up to 6 because a silkie is half the size of chicken and a call duck is half the size of a chicken. The 4x6 coop is even better.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom