chicken coop heater pictures

I just picked up 3 12 volt heaters from my local hardware store, im gonna be running a 12 volt heating and lighting system in my chicken coop, for safety reasons, and so power bill wont be high

I live in a mild climate, yet still had a friend who's chicken was found frozen to it's perch last winter. Mine are spoiled. I have a 50watt reptile bulb in the sleeping quarters (since it is so small) and the birds sit right under the light. Haven't had to use it yet this year, but it keeps them comfortable. I don't think just because they can survive the cold means they are by any means comfortable in severe temperatures. Also have a heated dish! Sorry to those that have already seen these pics.
56181_dsc00685.jpg

56181_dsc00677.jpg

I am in northern California and I heat my coop. Well, if the temperature ever gets below 35 degrees the Thermocube turns on the Flat Panel Coop Heater. When the temp reaches 45 degrees it turns off. We have it installed near the floor. Hubby was muttering some nonsense about "heat rising." Anyway, I doubt it came on more than a handful of nights last winter but I felt better knowing it was there. On really cold, freezing days I would occasionally bypass the Thermocube and just turn it on during the day. After doing their business outside the hens would congregate on the coop floor near the heater. It does not get hot enough to cause a burn at all. I never left it on all day, sometimes just an hour or so after they had been running in the rain.

34566_coopheater.jpg

Here is the box mine came in.

34566_coop_heater1.jpg

For my grow out coop I use a Sweeter Heater that hangs from the ceiling. I have the 30 inch, 100 watt model which kept a two story 4x4 coop warm enough for juvenile birds until they were fully feathered. I always kept it on at night in the winter but turned it off in the morning unless we were really having a cold spell. I raised a lot of babies under that heater and plan to use it again this year.

Here is what it looks like. They are sold at http://www.sweeterheater.com/page2.asp

34566_7830-7501.jpg

On REALLY cold days we just let them come inside and play Texas Hold'em online.

34566_chickens-10.jpg

This is how I keep my water from freezing,box that is insulated with blue board and light bulb 40 watt in it and sit water on top of it,I have a plastic waterer and it work fine,
44824_water_heater_box.jpg

Quote:
Be careful with those....those ceramic bulbs need a special ceramic socket. You can't use them with a conventional light fixture. The clamp type fixture that they sell for these bulbs is notorious for loosening and falling down, so if you use this kind of fixture be sure to have a backup fastening (e.g., chain or wire) to keep it where you put it.

It's worth it to buy one of the guards they sell to go over the bulb, too. Someone we know here last winter had one of her hens burn its comb badly on a ceramic heat lamp.

We use these in our dog houses, goat house, and 1 in the chicken house. Fantastic heater and very safe. It uses a heating element within a metal housing and a flip cap has a thermostat dial. Called a hound heater and they run around 90 bucks. Not cheap but perfect if you want to moderate housing temps. Be sure keep all elec lines to housing buried and in rigid elec pvc.
smile.png

69890_5976.jpg

Back
Top Bottom