Chicken crowing at 2:30. No rooster

Thats it

In the Brooder
May 5, 2022
Hi!
So i’ve been raising 4chicken in my backyard in Iceland for just over a year. I have 1 easteregger and 3 native Icelandic chicken. Recently 2 of them just started crowing in the chicken run in the middle of the night. At around 2:30. Super aggressively. I got out and closed them in the coop. They got silent. They normally just crow after laying eggs early in the morning. Is this normal behaviour?

They may be trying to tell you something is wrong...You may have a predator. But something is making them nervous to act this way, especially if this is the first time in a year. all females?

I think it’s summer where you live, could it be that there is light during the middle of the night?
Please excuse me for my lack of knowledge about Iceland.

Hi!
So i’ve been raising 4chicken in my backyard in Iceland for just over a year. I have 1 easteregger and 3 native Icelandic chicken. Recently 2 of them just started crowing in the chicken run in the middle of the night. At around 2:30. Super aggressively. I got out and closed them in the coop. They got silent. They normally just crow after laying eggs early in the morning. Is this normal behaviour?
Actual crowing or just sounding off?

Hi!
I googled sunrise/sunset in Iceland in june and from what I'm seeing sunrise is at around 3am and sunset is around midnight. I know my girls make quite a bit of noise around early morning egg laying and it can sometimes almost sound like odd crowing. It's so funny, one chicken is laying and two others are helping announce it, then they switch places and this goes on for at least an hour. When you close them in the coop it's probably darker so they stop.

I have a rhode island red that crows so loud at any given time of the day. She is the H.B.I.C. and I've heard they will crow to show dominance but she's putting me in a bad spot with my neighbors. She sounds just like a roster!

I have a rhode island red that crows so loud at any given time of the day. She is the H.B.I.C. and I've heard they will crow to show dominance but she's putting me in a bad spot with my neighbors. She sounds just like a roster!
RIR can be vocal like that. That's what my girls are and I have a few that can get quite loud sometimes. My neighbors aren't too close so I doubt they can hear them inside their houses but I'm sure they do when they're out in the yard. No one seems to mind, I'm lucky to have really nice neighbors!

RIR can be vocal like that. That's what my girls are and I have a few that can get quite loud sometimes. My neighbors aren't too close so I doubt they can hear them inside their houses but I'm sure they do when they're out in the yard. No one seems to mind, I'm lucky to have really nice neighbors!
It's only the one red, I have two red, and she crows so loud and with so much chest in it. She sounds just like a rooster.

My RIR transitioned into a cockerel when we didn't have roosters. She grew spurs and crowed and started charging me. She de-transitioned once we got our boys. I love RIRs.

Back
Top Bottom