LaurenElayne

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2018
We’re in the process of building our coop and it’s time to install the chicken door. We bought one from amazon that is automatic. The instructions asked for a hole that was 9-1/2” tall but once it’s all put together it will only open 5-1/2”. The chickens will really have to bend down to get out the door. Is this sufficient space or should I look for another one?

Smaller breeds should have no problem getting through that, even medium sized birds could probably squeeze through. What breeds are you getting? Are you sure the door is installed right? If I was you I would probably just send it back and find a new one but I don't even use a chicken door.

We’re in the process of building our coop and it’s time to install the chicken door. We bought one from amazon that is automatic. The instructions asked for a hole that was 9-1/2” tall but once it’s all put together it will only open 5-1/2”. The chickens will really have to bend down to get out the door. Is this sufficient space or should I look for another one?
I was in your shoes once upon a time. The door opening is kind of small. Depends on the breed and type of chickens you are going to get or have already. Some pre-made coops you buy on-line or from some feed store are made for Bantam breed chickens and not Standard size. So once again it depends on which type you are raising. You could raise Bantam breeds with no problem for that coop. But for Standard breeds it will not be enough room except for maybe the Leghorn breeds of chicken. Most chickens full grown standard breeds need an opening of at least 11" X 11". Of course this is my choice too!

Hello and :welcome I hope you enjoy the site :thumbsup

I’d be inclined to send that back! All my flock are LF and they squeeze out that pop door when it’s only half opened - I imagine half way is about 5 or 5.5”. So I do think they could get in and out (unless you have a particularly big breed) but it’s far from ideal.

Back
Top Bottom