Chicken Has Worms Seeking Identification

WapsiChicks

Chirping
Jan 28, 2021
Iowa
Hi Everyone,
Hoping you all can help me identify what kind of worms my backyard flock has. I thought I had it cleared up but again today I saw droppings with these little tiny worms in it. I've searched all over for pictures to try and identify myself and keep coming up empty. I've treated the entire flock twice now (10 days apart) per the PoultryDVM website, thinking I had a tapeworm on my hands. I'm using the Equine Safeguard (fenbendazole) 25 gram paste 10%. I've given all the girls a pea sized dose each time (again 10 days apart). I do feel like I'm not treating with the right thing, or maybe not giving enough (I've also read maybe 3-5 days consecutively). There is so much information out there it's hard to know if I'm giving the right treatment. I did know which bird had the worms. Although today I didn't get to see who made the dropping in the picture attached so I'd probably dose the whole flock. You can see in the picture the worms in the dropping itself and on the grass around it as well.
Appreciate any help! Thank you!

Attachments

• 20220921_163731.jpg
    20220921_163731.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 51
Hi Everyone,
Hoping you all can help me identify what kind of worms my backyard flock has. I thought I had it cleared up but again today I saw droppings with these little tiny worms in it. I've searched all over for pictures to try and identify myself and keep coming up empty. I've treated the entire flock twice now (10 days apart) per the PoultryDVM website, thinking I had a tapeworm on my hands. I'm using the Equine Safeguard (fenbendazole) 25 gram paste 10%. I've given all the girls a pea sized dose each time (again 10 days apart). I do feel like I'm not treating with the right thing, or maybe not giving enough (I've also read maybe 3-5 days consecutively). There is so much information out there it's hard to know if I'm giving the right treatment. I did know which bird had the worms. Although today I didn't get to see who made the dropping in the picture attached so I'd probably dose the whole flock. You can see in the picture the worms in the dropping itself and on the grass around it as well.
Appreciate any help! Thank you!
I see tapeworm segments.

Oh really?! You have good eyes! Has your flock had these before? If so, how did you treat it?
My birds have not had them, i used to be a vet tech before i was a nurse so seen lotsa worms.
Valbazen will knock them back. Earthworms are a common vector; my girls don't eat them and i am happy they don't.
Tons of good info on this site! 😎

I appreciate the suggestion of a different wormer. Ive been using safeguard and it doesnt seem to be doing much. Thank you!
You're correct. Safeguard wont treat tapeworms. Equimax contains praziquantel and will completely eliminate tapeworms. It can be found in the equine section at a feed store.
th3G3I95CG  equimax.jpg

Back
Top Bottom