Chicken keeps bouncing off her feet when we try to help her stand and lies on her side, unable to walk

RBurwell

Chirping
6 Years
Hey everyone,

I’ve been reading the threads for over a week now and I’ve found some very useful ideas to try but I thought I’d post in case someone sees something that I don’t!!
What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Americauna x Chantecler- approx 2 years old, yes seems thin to me
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Not able to walk, kicks her feet like she’s running when you pick her up, If you try to help her stand she does this crazy jolly jumper type thing and bounces up and down but she can’t maintain her balance.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Approx 10 days, she has let us stand her up with support more recently
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No none, she was isolated as soon as we saw symptoms
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. She had pulled her toenail out when I found her and it was bleeding on her left side. I stopped the bleeding, cleaned it and put antibiotic cream on it. No swelling or warmth to that area that would indicate an infection. No signs of broken bones that I can find, I’m a nurse so I’ve assessed her legs fully multiple times and she has range of motion. She does NOT have the normal curled toe reflex when her legs are bent up in roosting position though.
6). Nothing that we know of.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. In the coop they have layer food free feed, they also have scratch for warmth during the cold days and black oil sunflower seeds and a heated waterer. Since being in isolation she’s been getting her layer mixed in with yogurt, nutritional yeast, oats, some apple sauce plain, honey and molasses. I mix it up with each meal.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. It was runny and green and smelled awful at one point, it’s solidified a bit more but it seems to alternate back and forth.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? She’s been getting trivisol kids vitamins and Vit B complex human form on her food for the last week. I just added in Vit E today. She’s not eating all her food so it’s hard to get it into her. I have also given her an Epsom salt bath a few times.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment?
Just wondering if anyone has anything else I could try!? She’s bright and responsive and moving herself around her little chicken ICU. I initially thought Marek’s but she’s not paralyzed and many of the symptoms weren’t really matching up. We were going to cull when we thought it was Marek’s but she looks fine other than her legs so we decided to give her some time. She does fall asleep a lot after moving herself around but she makes the happy purring sound when she does that.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
0023047C-4484-4892-83D6-76D2197BB32F.jpeg

9DEFD509-13F1-46EE-AD83-5F4F96A6706F.jpeg

C4521428-B0BD-4148-9FAE-E39DEEB0DD2A.jpeg

E94099FC-EEDD-4328-874F-81CB0181E2D7.jpeg

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
She lives in a flock with 12 other chickens outside in the coop. They free range during the day, wood shavings bedding in the coop and tree branch perches. They did have an extended period of having to be locked in the coop due to -20 to -30 temps for nearly a month. She seems a bit thin so I’m wondering if she wasn’t allowed to get to the layer and only had access to the scratch or black oil sunflower seeds!? She has been isolated since we found her down the first morning. In her little ICU she’s on clean towels or blankets covered with puppy pee pads.

Attachments

• 598B2089-5C53-4E6D-AA3B-CC6B0FC3A283.jpeg
    598B2089-5C53-4E6D-AA3B-CC6B0FC3A283.jpeg
    609.6 KB · Views: 4
Sorry about your hen. She sounds like a hen I had who was 7, and lost balance, and would try to run, but go backwards or to the side. She had been vaccinated for Mareks at the hatchery. She stayed liked that for over a month, could stand, and did move her legs, but immediately fell over. She stayed inside a basket inside the coop moving herself around. I hand fed her a very wet mash of chicken feed, egg, canned cat food and cottage cheese. Eventually, she came out of her basket about 5 weeks, and of course the flock attacked her. She was determined to go outside, and she finally would go out, but I had to keep her on the other side of the fence where she could see the flock, but they could not attack her. It took 6 months to get her back in the flock without the pecking.

She lived another year or more, and we lost her to possible reproductive cancer. She also had some internal egg masses. So we never knew what exactly was wrong. There is something called vestibular disease that some animals get which temporarily causes imbalance, which I learned about later.

I hope that your hen gets better, and that it is not Mareks. There is a lab called RAL who will send material to collect a blood sample from a trimmed toenail, and you can mail it back for a Mareks pcr test. I believe UGA offers that as well. Most Mareks testing is done by state vets with a necropsy. Here is a link for testing in TX:
https://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf

How does her crop feel? When you start mixing yogurt, yeast, sugar, etc it creates a fermentation possibility. Especially as her metabolism slows down, it can be possibly sour. Complex diets may seem like they are nutritional but a more stable diet may help depending on how her crop empties and how her droppings look.

How does her crop feel? When you start mixing yogurt, yeast, sugar, etc it creates a fermentation possibility. Especially as her metabolism slows down, it can be possibly sour. Complex diets may seem like they are nutritional but a more stable diet may help depending on how her crop empties and how her droppings look.
Oh man I didn’t even think of the chemical reaction!! Her crop feels soft and squishy but I’ll keep checking it and go look up sour crop so I know what to look for. Thanks!

I would concentrate on moistened chicken feed and scrambled egg in moderation. We try other things if they absolutely won’t eat, but chicken feed is balanced. Tube feeding baby bird feed from a pet store might be something to consider, but I would try to get her to eat from a small cup or dish. Here is a link to finding testing or a chicken necropsy in Alberta:
https://poultryhealth.ca/old-services/diagnostic-laboratory-testing/

A chicken sling can sometimes be helpful for a disabled chicken to get them upright, make it easier to feed, and keep them out of their own droppings. Here is a link with 4 pages of sling designs, and the basic design is in post 11:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

I would concentrate on moistened chicken feed and scrambled egg in moderation. We try other things if they absolutely won’t eat, but chicken feed is balanced. Tube feeding baby bird feed from a pet store might be something to consider, but I would try to get her to eat from a small cup or dish. Here is a link to finding testing or a chicken necropsy in Alberta:
https://poultryhealth.ca/old-services/diagnostic-laboratory-testing/

A chicken sling can sometimes be helpful for a disabled chicken to get them upright, make it easier to feed, and keep them out of their own droppings. Here is a link with 4 pages of sling designs, and the basic design is in post 11:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
Thank you!

Just an update!! Every time I went to this chicken in the past three months she made a slight improvement and yesterday for the first time she walked on her own outside!!!! She’s wobbly but able to get around so we are thrilled! She’s been living in the “chicken ICU” since January, hasn’t laid an egg since then so clearly not well. She even came on a ski trip with us twice in a dog carrier!!!

Back
Top Bottom