Chicken myths and old wives' tales, please!

Hi sewingca, I was born in Jacksonville what part are you in? we lived in the west side most of our lives till we moved to N.C.in 1977, good to here from someone back home
ya.gif
.......now this doesn't have to do with eggs but it does have to do with the farm, I always thought that chocolate milk came from brown cows,
tongue.png
okay now how many of the rest of ya believed that too?

Last edited:
Yeah, I heard about the brown cow/chocolate milk myth too... Luckily my Dad grew up on a large ranch and he made sure to inform us of a lot of the "city folk myths"!
lol.png

One of my favorites is about how many folks think a milk cow will always eventually make milk, it's just a matter of time... No, they have to be bred and have a full-term calf. THEN they'll make milk!

Plus we got this question from a lady with her two little kids who had both been breast fed. She was thinking about getting a milk cow and was asking us some questions about how to care for a milk cow. "Would I have to milk her twice a day? What if I want to take the family on a vacation for the weekend? Will she be alright if we don't milk her for a few days?"
th.gif

Folks, we are mammals. We're not reptiles or birds. How can you not know this?
roll.png

Quote:
Depending on how much milk she makes it could even kill her. At best, it's a long miserable process (imagine a huge udder swelled tight and a 1,000 pound cow who doesn't want you to touch it), with lots of antibiotics to cure the bad mastitis infection that would develop within 24 hours of not being milked. One or more of her quadrants could quit making milk permanently. That lady was pretty serious about getting a cow, but luckily - for the cow - decided not to...

Hi, Miss Lydia, we live near Diamond D Riding Stables out Normandy Blvd headed toward 301. My hubby was born and raised in J'ville. I'm a transplant since age 10. He would love to live anywhere but here. I have grandbabies here and a daughter-in-law who was born and raised here and doesn't ever care to leave. So, therefore, I'm not going anywhere either! We have wonderful house-sitters when we travel so I tell him we can go and go - just so I can come home to my babies! My DH would love to live in NC. I have two brothers in SC, so we visit as often as can.
frow.gif
Caroline

I know where Diamond D is, We lived between Cassit ave. and Lake Shore Blvd. not far from Normandy Blvd. Small world huh? Jacksonville was a nice place to grow up in back in 50's changed way too much for us too big, We love these mts. even if it does get cold and snowy. Nice that you get to travel to keep hubby happy......Merry Christmas, and I'm sure we'll cross paths again on here..... Trish

Back
Top Bottom