chicken-operated door?

Caju

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 2, 2010
I saw those videos of the feeder where the chickens step on a little panel and it opens the feeder and thought they were very clever. I'm wondering if anyone has done something similar with a pop-door?

It would be nice if the chickens could let themselves out of their sleep house and into their run in the morning. My run is secure, so I could probably leave the door open at night, but it's been cold. I don't mind shutting them in at night and light to see them all safe and sound, but sometimes they wake up way ahead of me and I wish they could let themselves out.

Anybody done anything like this or have any ideas about it?

There would need to be some sort of a time lockout feature, or a predator could open it by stepping on the same pad at night.

There are pet doors that operatae using RF transmission, which would work and exclude predators.

http://www.moorepet.com/Electronic-and-Automatic-Pet-Doors-s/24.htm

The problem with them is that if a chicken gets near it with a tag, it would open, and you might not want the door to open.

That is the primary issue I see with an "open on demand" door.

with powered doors dont u think u could make a electric perimeter fence around your whole setup for the same cost??? if not cheaper!

This is exactly why I have an automatic door on my coop. It's battery powered, and a light sensor controls the opening and closing of the door. I love it!! I don't have to get up to let them out... I still do a head count shortly before the door closes each night (usually) to make sure all have gotten inside the coop in time; they do.

gryeye - can you post more details about your automatic door? It sounds sweet!

Caju - I hear your complaint about letting them out earlier than you'd like. I'm struggling with that too. Hope you find something that works, it sounds like Gryey's system will work, using a light sensor is brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom