Chicken poop when you don’t compost

I dig a pretty decent size hole and dump poop then cover it in the dirt I dug up. I then repeat until the hole is full. Currently dug new beds for next year where my garden bottomless boxes will be and I’m throwing poo in there.

I sift the poops out of the thin layer of PDZ on the boards every day and put it into a kitty litter bucket. When 3 buckets are full I take to my friends who have copious gardens and composting facilities. They empty the buckets and bring them back. Good deal for both of us and we've been doing it for 10 years.

I haven’t touched the poop in The run , but when it rained yday I finally smelled the stench. I added zeolite all over, and it’s better, but that’s stench is what I’m trying to avoid.
PDZ/zeolite is not a good remedy for this, you need some coarse wood chippings to help break down the poops in the run.

I sift the poops out of the thin layer of PDZ on the boards every day and put it into a kitty litter bucket. When 3 buckets are full I take to my friends who have copious gardens and composting facilities. They empty the buckets and bring them back. Good deal for both of us and we've been doing it for 10 years.

PDZ/zeolite is not a good remedy for this, you need some coarse wood chippings to help break down the poops in the run.
I just called someone who has access to wood chips. Hopefully I can get some soon. Once the chips are in, will I need to ever clean out the poop? Or will it just deteriorate into the earth?

I just called someone who has access to wood chips. Hopefully I can get some soon. Once the chips are in, will I need to ever clean out the poop? Or will it just deteriorate into the earth?
It depends on volume of litter vs amount of poop. IIRC you don't have a very large run do you? Or I might be thinking someone else...

I have wood chips and various yard waste that I add periodically - dry leaves, mowed grass, weeds etc. I’ve had this setup for 4 years and haven’t cleaned it in that time. It composts in place and doesn’t smell, get muddy, or freeze in winter. It’s great!

No I don’t have a large run. It’s about 12 feet long and 4 ft wide , 3 chickens.
So you may still need to do cleanouts I think. 3 chickens isn't much in terms of poop, but it does still build up over time, as both broken down poop and broken down wood all has to go somewhere (it doesn't vanish into the soil, it's more like becomes part of the soil), so this is where run sq footage and depth both come into play.

So there is a patch with six veggie plants but I took out one tomatoe one that seemed to be dying, and this is where I currently have been burying the chicken poop. I do mix it into the soil but if the tomatoe plant was still there, I’d have no idea what to do with the poop. Can we just throw it into a garden bed?
Yes. But also throw some of there bedding with it. Chicken poop is nitrogen rich material that breaks down wood fibers and other natural materials. It also helps plants and trees to be green and healthy.

So you may still need to do cleanouts I think. 3 chickens isn't much in terms of poop, but it does still build up over time, as both broken down poop and broken down wood all has to go somewhere (it doesn't vanish into the soil, it's more like becomes part of the soil), so this is where run sq footage and depth both come into play.
Yes. It turns into 'dirt' eventually.

I haven't done anything to my run in 10 years, except add a bit more wood chippings if things get stinky. Don't need a thick layer of wood chippings, I keep mine about 1-3".

Back
Top Bottom