Chicken (Poultry) Addiction Anonymous *Chat Thread*

Quote:
Muggsmaggee,

I dont like to be the one to point this out, but those with the addiction ALWAYS say, "I'll just cut back, I won't have so many."
Oh, it might work for a few days, maybe a week, but then, POW you are back where you started, and maybe worse!
LOL
big_smile.png

I love this thread, and I don't even own any birds yet.
wee.gif

You sure hit it on the head!
lau.gif

Quote:
Muggsmaggee,

I dont like to be the one to point this out, but those with the addiction ALWAYS say, "I'll just cut back, I won't have so many."
Oh, it might work for a few days, maybe a week, but then, POW you are back where you started, and maybe worse!
LOL
big_smile.png

I love this thread, and I don't even own any birds yet.
wee.gif

You sure hit it on the head!
lau.gif

You aren't helping!
smack.gif

Hello, My name is IroquoisEgg and I am a Chicken-Aholic. We live in Fair Oaks California, which happens to have a downtown village filled with chickens, mainly roosters. They walk all over town, have a big park, cars drive slow and wait as they cross the road, a chicken festival in fall even. When I 1st moved here 6 years ago, I thought wow, this is bit ridiculous...i mean there were chickens eating with us at the 5 star restaurant patio, just listening to the band and enjoying the candlelight! Fast forward to April of 2010...DH suggests getting 4-5 laying hens for eggs. I said okay and let him start building a chicken tractor. He found BYC and told me all about this great website with everything chicken, I wasn't interested in the least. Memorial Day rolls around..or rather, "the day my addiction was born.." We came home with 2 white leghorns,because I had to have white eggs-couldn't eat brown and didn't know there were even blue or green- and here's the exact point is started...they had a 4 week old RIR/Ameracauna pullet I saw her and my heart of stone turned to mush. Then next place had a layer, we got her and 2 more chicks because of course, the 1st one couldn't be alone. In a matter of hours we are over the 5 chicken limit. All MY doing!! Who knew I was a crazy chicken lady in the making??? Lost some dear souls here and there got replacements but never just one for one...I have had a steady flow of chicks in the brooder, in my kitchen no less, looking at the latest as I type, which consist of 2 Sebrights, a Black Australorp, 2 Jersey Giants. Outside-Wyandottes (blue laced, splash, Gold laced), a white leghorn, BO, Light Brahma, Delaware, brown Leghorn, 3 Silkies, 2 WCB Polish, EE's, Barred Rock, Mille Fleur..25 total. All named and some come when they are called, follow me around for treats, live in a Brand new walk-in coop freshly painted! They basically want nothing to do with DH and are my girls. I do all the chores. all of them. I love it.

Oh by the way, that 1st chick the RIR/Ameracauna....she's a he! Imagine that, had I known I wouldn't have brought her, uh him, home and my addiction might have remained unleashed! How sad that would be! DH spent Sunday insulating the coop as "Betsy" is learning how to crow really loud and I have to try everything to be able to keep her without pissing off the neighbors. My chickens make me laugh, cry, shake my head and sigh-what a rich life us BYCers have!

Looking for Blue Ameracaunas always....!

Quote:
IroquoisEgg...you hit it on the head! My chickens make me laugh, cry, shake my head and sigh-what a rich life us BYCers have!

I can totally picture those meandering chickens!
ya.gif
Can we not have more towns doing this?!? As long as they aren't aggressive and don't make a huge mess, I can't see any problem. This could be a nationwide movement!
big_smile.png

Quote:
love.gif
wee.gif
woot.gif
fl.gif

And, you forgot to say, "I can stop anytime I want to, I just don't want to!"

lau.gif
jumpy.gif

Ya know...I'm not sure I could stop! That's a shocking dose of reality!
big_smile.png

Hey everybody, I'm pookiegoldman and I too pass the candle. You see it's not my fault that I'm a chicken addict. I was born addicted, sorta like those crack-babies. My parents were total chicken geeks, so I was brought up in it. I hadn't had any chickens for the last 20 years....until 8 months ago. It all started with a hatchery surprise. Then it went downhill from there. We've got a bunch, reminding me that I need to "up" those numbers in my signature..
hide.gif
We have a small quail farm, but those quail just don't do it for me...It's the chooks.
love.gif
I have no concept of chicken math. I won't pretend that I do. I'm in a 12 strut program right now and doing well. Here's my proof... I've got a huge cabinet incubator that was NEVER turned on for chicken eggs... (still holding my candle)

Back
Top Bottom