Chicken (Poultry) Addiction Anonymous *Chat Thread*

Quote:
big_smile.png
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Muggsmagee - I built my own. I named it the telebator, because it is an old 1950's mahogany TV set (glass front). It has insulation, a heater and a light bulb in it. I am sure it is destined for MANY updates as I learn, but if folks can hatch with a cardboard box and a light bulb, then I should be able to make babies with this! It is holding steady at 100, I just need to bring the humidity up in it, we are so dry here! It is below 20% here!

I get my assorted pullets in the mail tomorrow!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Would love olive eggers and would love more chickies - I have room in my coop for 4 or 5 more birds and there's a lot of room in my barn also. I just can't have roosters -- even with all my acreage, the neighbors have spoken.
sad.png

I do have one little cochin roo I have snuck into my back coop as a test case to see if they can hear him (after all I did have 17 guineas until about a month ago and they are LOUD), but I can't have any more. Already have to find homes for seven baby bantam roos (MFD/Salmon Favorelle) and still trying to figure out a way to rehome without sending them to a stewpot.
tongue.png
Any girls you want to send over, feel free! (good thing my hubby doesn't read this board and see all the enabling going on!).

Next swap I think is just too far for me - I think I mapped it out and it's over 4 hours away.. but we shall see.
smile.png

I already have one lady who is asking me for EE babies - too bad they aren't sex linked or I'd hatch em right now and pick out a few girls for myself! I'm hoping to be drowning in eggs next year.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Everyone seems to hate leghorns, but my four white leghorns are the sweetest birds I have. They run up to me and don't mind being picked up. And they never fly at all, just run along the ground like a normal fat chicken. And those little skinny white birds lay HUGE white eggs while my same age RIR lay smallish brown ones. I love my leghorns!!!

Quote:
Would love olive eggers and would love more chickies - I have room in my coop for 4 or 5 more birds and there's a lot of room in my barn also. I just can't have roosters -- even with all my acreage, the neighbors have spoken.
sad.png

I do have one little cochin roo I have snuck into my back coop as a test case to see if they can hear him (after all I did have 17 guineas until about a month ago and they are LOUD), but I can't have any more. Already have to find homes for seven baby bantam roos (MFD/Salmon Favorelle) and still trying to figure out a way to rehome without sending them to a stewpot.
tongue.png
Any girls you want to send over, feel free! (good thing my hubby doesn't read this board and see all the enabling going on!).

Next swap I think is just too far for me - I think I mapped it out and it's over 4 hours away.. but we shall see.
smile.png

I already have one lady who is asking me for EE babies - too bad they aren't sex linked or I'd hatch em right now and pick out a few girls for myself! I'm hoping to be drowning in eggs next year.
smile.png

You are in trouble now! I don't want to breed the JG's, and I have enough brown egg layers, so that's 3 hens for you! I've been thinking of crossing my JG roo to my black Ameraucanas...so I can get bigger black EE's. Which means I must keep him.
wink.png
I also want some buff EE's...so I'll likely cross my buff ameraucana roo to my BO's. I will gladly share my eggs!

Quote:
Any suggestions for the breeds? EE's, Ameraucanas, Light Sussex, and Barred Rocks are at the top of my list so far

You can't go wrong with EE's...but having Ameraucanas is better, because you can make your own EE's!

Quote:
Quote:
Muggsmagee - I built my own. I named it the telebator, because it is an old 1950's mahogany TV set (glass front). It has insulation, a heater and a light bulb in it. I am sure it is destined for MANY updates as I learn, but if folks can hatch with a cardboard box and a light bulb, then I should be able to make babies with this! It is holding steady at 100, I just need to bring the humidity up in it, we are so dry here! It is below 20% here!

I get my assorted pullets in the mail tomorrow!
yippiechickie.gif

I'm hogging the thread this morning!
hide.gif
I want to make my own incubator. I've been eyeballing acidchipmunk's. She has converted a see through large refrigerator. It is amazing. However, it would be nice to have something that looks like furniture. Take a picture of yours...I'd love to see what you came up with!

Mugs, there's a byc member near me who needs a hen since one of hers was eaten by a hawk and she now has a solo chicken. So that's an option too if you have extra hens to rehome!

I definitely want olive egger/easter egger eggs when they are available.
tongue.png
No more bantams for me only big chickies!

As for incubators.. I LOVE my brinsea with humidity pump. I need idiot proof since I work so much and this does the trick. Just dial in the humidity you want and off it goes. Plus I've had no problems with snatching out dry chicks and shrinkwrapping. It makes my incubating fingers twitch that I have it locked up in a closet, but I must not hatch I must not hatch.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom