Chicken (Poultry) Addiction Anonymous *Chat Thread*

I am pretty sure I am getting an incubator for my birthday. I really don't need an incubator for my birthday. This could be very, very bad. I'm already up to 33 with spring chicks and a chicken swap. I don't need the ability to hatch my own on a whim.

The thing is though, my boyfriend is like, wonder what we get when we cross Hoppy (Speckled Sussex) with the Turken roo? Or what about the phoenix? Or the Brahma? Or ... OH LOOK WE CAN ORDER EGGS ONLINE?!

I think this incubator he's hinting around at is partly for him, too. I've told him though that there will be no unauthorized breeding of ANYTHING (human, chicken or otherwise) without a solid plan. I am pretty sure though that caution will be thrown to the wind as soon as that incubator and I are staring each other in the face.

Good lord. That man JUST finished the coop expansion project, too. I originally told him an 8x8 would be sufficient for my needs. Then we had to build on another section. He was at least smart enough to make the expansion an 8x12 instead of the 8x8 I told him it should be.

Hello, my name is Linda and I am addicted to hatching and raising and keeping chickens. I also don't get rid of any of them (yet) so that makes me a chicken hoarder.

I started in the summer of 2009 by deciding it would be nifty to have a few chickens to provide The Best Fertilizer Ever for my four raised garden beds and to stake a stab at bug control. Plus, hens would lay eggs, and although I don't eat a lot of them, I do eat some. They'd be free. So I began to build what the plans called a "Chicken Tractor."

Having never built anything before from scratch except the largest dog house in the entire world (large breed dogs could have invited neighbor dogs over to play poker in it, but that construction project was many years in the past), I built the thing out of 3/8 inch plywood and 2x4s. So it's heavier than I could ever move, and is became a permanent A-Frame Coop.

Oct 1, 2009, I bought 4 "hen" chicks from a feed store. All different breeds, because I was positive I wouldn't be able to tell one chicken from another if they were all the same breed. Say, Rhode Island Reds: every morning I would be saying, "Good morning, Rhoda! How are you, Rhoda? 'Mornin', Rhoda. What's up, Rhoda? Lookin' good, Rhoda!" because I would, of course, name them.

You may have noticed there were six "Rhodas" mentioned in that last paragraph. Well, the 4 chicks became 6... Only one named Rhoda - the solo RIR. Then I bought 2 more... all from the "hen" bin, but one turned into a rooster.

Something strange has happened in the interim, though. I have 10 layers, 5 mature roosters, and 9 adolescent pullets, all named. I ALSO have 7 twelve week old chickens, 6 nine week old chickens, 6 three week old chickens, 11 two to three-day old chicks, 7 eggs hatching as I type this, and 78 other eggs shared by several incubators.

Crap, I shouldn't have just counted those eggs.

frow.gif
hello,
my name is andrea and i am very addicted to chickens!!! so much lately!!!! we are getting more chickens in february!!! 4 more to be exact!
wee.gif
that will give us a total of 13 chickens! i know i know may not be alot for some but plenty for us!
i have started decorating our kitchen with a slight kitchen them!
th.gif
its becomming my "new" thing.
love.gif

Thank goodness I found this topic, I thought I was loosing my mind. I love Chickens more then anything. I am addicted to birds, mostly chickens and peeps. I am not alone, others do exist. Wow! Who! They are the best ever.
lol.png

My name is Meowmskitti...YES MEOWMSKITTI! I have 4 awesome dwarf Cochins! I was in cat rescue for years and have 21 kitties that have ruled my life but now...Prissy, Dumplin, Ruby and Zelda have stolen my heart! They're so relaxing, following me around scratching as I garden. Now I find myself looking at different chicken breeds....buying chicken figurines...worrying if I'll be home to get them in before dark...THEY'RE SLEEPING IN MY SPARE BEDROOM! It's all my bosses fault, she gave me these wonderful chickens. I never thought they'd be so smart and funny!

IS THERE HELP FOR ME??

I am Key West Chick. Im a addict and somewhat of a hoarder. Im in the process of building another pen. Im afraid if I bring out my incubator again, DH will leave. (JK) Everytime i think Im happy, I find another breed/color and need more. I like trios so I have a lot of roosters. Its very loud so Im hoping no one will notice just one more...

Quote:
Yes, here on BYC, there is an amazingly supportive (dare I say "enabling?") cadre of folks who enjoy the same syndrome. Wait, shouldn't that be "suffer from the same syndrome?" Lemee think.

No, I'm pretty sure we all enjoy it.

Anyway, WELCOME! If you find a cure for this, please don't share it with me.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom