Chicken (Poultry) Addiction Anonymous *Chat Thread*

Quote:
Christie, those are sweeties. Congrats on your new obbessions,
wink.png
Jl why not make some yummy Chicken an Dumplings? we are going to be putting out 3 roos in the freezer this week Oh how I hate this part.

Quote:
wink.png
Jl why not make some yummy Chicken an Dumplings? we are going to be putting out 3 roos in the freezer this week Oh how I hate this part.

Unfortunately they are bantams and at 4 weeks, there's not even a nugget worth of chicken on them!! I'll keep trying to find them homes but that maybe where they end up, I'd hate it though!!

Quote:
wink.png

Unfortunately they are bantams and at 4 weeks, there's not even a nugget worth of chicken on them!! I'll keep trying to find them homes but that maybe where they end up, I'd hate it though!!

I know what you mean ours are bantams also, and one I really don't want to say good bye to, but for the good of the flock[girls] we have to, no one wants roos around here for the right reasons.
sad.png

Very true, Miss Lydia. How old are yours when you send them to freezer camp? I might have to wait until spring at the rate these babies grow. At least by then I should have a really good idea which I'd like to keep.

Quote:
these were hatched in April and they are small but sex crazy. and it does cut down on egg production when theres too many boys. and I noticed one of my hens is missing some feathers and it's way to much to just be molt. seems they will gang up on one female too. So to make a good size pot of C&D I will probably have to use all three at once.

Quote:
Happy to have you join, but now you have to spill the beans on your addiction, tell us all about it.
smile.png

Well......

Our first experience with chickens was 5 years ago. We got some Rhode Island Red hens from some of our friends. Some coyotes got all of them. After that I lost interest in chickens. "They where just for eating" I thought. Then we moved to South Dakota. We bought some Bantam chicks from a feed store. We raised them so we could eat they're meat... but we just couldn't kill them after we had just raised them. They became our pets. All of the chickens exept one died from various reasons. One got trampled by our horse, the other drowned in the stock tank. After that I thought chickens where "just for eating". I finally got another one.. A Barred Rock named Serena. She is still my favorite chicken. After that I kept getting more and more chickens until I was overrun with them! I have 20 of them...
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom