Chicken (Poultry) Addiction Anonymous *Chat Thread*

I found a hidden clutch of all blue eggs in my raised garden bed under the mustard green eaves!
ya.gif
Woot! More for Christmas crafting! I'm stoked.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
hope you'll show us pics when through!
smile.png

Have you tried to make any? It's fun, but dang if the supplies aren't expensive!

One thing I am not is crafty. so wouldn't even know where to begin.
hmm.png
but love to look and buy other people stuff.

Quote:
One thing I am not is crafty. so wouldn't even know where to begin.
hmm.png
but love to look and buy other people stuff.

I'll show you where to begin...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=160244

Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, can do these.

WOW they are beautiful, nope can not sit still that long. but will be looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Quote:
A blanket? But they are wearing a down comforter.

I would never put a blanket over my birds. Pick them up and put them on the roost when they fall off in the evening, sure. Rearrange them on the roost so the babies are next to their momma, who wouldn't? Run out to find out what is going on when they crow to the motion lights coming on late at night, well, doesn't everyone do that? Take a flashlight and locate the stragler who never goes into the coop when it gets dark, yeah, done it. But a blanket? Not yet.
lau.gif

Quote:

I would never put a blanket over my birds. Pick them up and put them on the roost when they fall off in the evening, sure. Rearrange them on the roost so the babies are next to their momma, who wouldn't? Run out to find out what is going on when they crow to the motion lights coming on late at night, well, doesn't everyone do that? Take a flashlight and locate the stragler who never goes into the coop when it gets dark, yeah, done it. But a blanket? Not yet.
lau.gif

Lol!! Chickens make you crazy, right?
lau.gif
Well... here are the reasons..

The snow here is about a foot deep.

These chicks are only six months old (and never have been in the cold).

I don't have a barn.. just a little shed that I put straw in.

The chicks were all very cold, and I was afraid they were going to get sick (I lost one to the cold already
sad.png
)

Maybe I went a little overboard, but I really couldn't think of anything else to warm them up.
wink.png

Quote:

lau.gif

Lol!! Chickens make you crazy, right?
lau.gif
Well... here are the reasons..

The snow here is about a foot deep.

These chicks are only six months old (and never have been in the cold).

I don't have a barn.. just a little shed that I put straw in.

The chicks were all very cold, and I was afraid they were going to get sick (I lost one to the cold already
sad.png
)

Maybe I went a little overboard, but I really couldn't think of anything else to warm them up.
wink.png

Do you have power in the shed? Or can you run a lead cord to it? Someone suggested a 60 watt old style bulb inside a clay flower pot, covering it with the flower pot "saucer" as a Warming station for the birds. Sounds good to me. Next year I run power to my coop.

But for now, a blanket will work.

Back
Top Bottom